Make Barnsley Chronicle My Home Page Close
Share this story

Own goal by captain but Reds four unbeaten

Match Report: Yeovil 1, Barnsley 1

By Doug O'Kane, Sports Editor Saturday 30th August 2014
Martin Cranie.
Martin Cranie scored a late own goal against his former club as the Reds and Yeovil fought out a 1-1 draw in Somerset on Saturday.

Conor Hourihane gave Barnsley the lead on 27 minutes with his third 30-yard screamer in as many games. But Yeovil were on top after that and levelled when captain Cranie netted for his hometown team with 14 minutes left.

Barnsley manager Danny Wilson kept the same squad from the 4-1 home win over Gillingham four days earlier and the Reds made it four games unbeaten.

Ajay Leitch-Smith's fourth-minute mishit shot turned into a fine pass to Sam Foley but the Yeovil winger blazed over when clean through eight yards out. Foley also fired over a slightly more difficult chance later in the half after a good ball from Joe Edwards.

The Reds also had chances as Reece Brown's shot was  kept out by Yeovil stopper Chris Weale who also tipped wide an effort from Keith Treacy after a fine move.

Barnsley took the lead on 27 minutes when Luke Berry's clever flick gave Hourihane time and space to fire in the opener from 30 yards out. The shot, which appeared to take a slight deflection off Edwards, added to the Irish midfielder's screamers against Coventry and Gillingham.

Keith Treacy limped off with an injury minutes later and was replaced by Dale Jennings. 

Leitch-Smith tested Adam Davies with a long-ranger then forced the goalkeeper into a terrific save when through one-on-one. Lewin Nyatanga could have made it 2-0 in first half injury-time when he headed Berry's corner straight at Weale.

Yeovil dominated much of the second half. Reds stopper Davies kept out an effort from Keiffer Moore who had bamboozled Brown then repelled a powerful 20-yard volley by Edwards and easily saved a deflected effort by Leitch-Smith.

The hosts eventually levelled on 76 minutes when Foley's cross was turned into his own net by Cranie. Davies made a couple more routine saves before Barnsley substitute Devante Cole almost sealed a shock win on 85 minutes when he sliced Jennings' cross straight to Weale.

Scorer Hourihane kept the Reds level with a header off the line in the 88th minute then Jennings fired an effort across the face of goal in injury time.