Make Barnsley Chronicle My Home Page Close
Share this story

No seventh win as Barnsley lose 5-3 in Bristol

Match Report: Bristol City 5-3 Barnsley

By Doug O'Kane, Sports Editor Saturday 23rd February 2013

Barnsley's six-match winning run came to an abrupt end when they were beaten 5-3 by Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Saturday.


Bristol moved off the bottom after they raced into a 5-1 lead before two late goals restored some pride for Barnsley who stay outside the bottom three although they could slip back in if Wolves win on Sunday .


Bristol took the lead on 16 minutes when Jon Stead, who had caused plenty of problems from the first whistle, headed home after Marvin Elliott met a Paul Anderson corner. The Reds felt Elliott fouled Stephen Foster while Martin Cranie appeared to be elbowed as the cross came in.


The second goal was as a result of dreadful defending as the back four and goalkeeper Luke Steele both failed to claim a Brendan Moloney cross and Liam Fontaine tapped in at the far post. Stephen Foster was then hauled off as Chris O'Grady came on in a 4-4-2.


Barnsley had had plenty of chances in the first half with debutant Ryan Tunnicliffe, Rory Delap and Cranie all forced home goalkeeper Tom Heaton into good saves.


But the hosts led 2-0 at the break and it was 4-0 ten minutes into the second half. Stead got his second via a major deflection on 53 minutes after Fontaine headed down a Steven Davies cross.


Former Barnsley player Lewin Nyatanga headed in the fourth after some poor defending from the Reds.


The visitors pulled one back one minute later when Heaton could not keep hold of the ball after smothering it at Tunnicliffe's feet. Substitute Chris O'Grady fired in a shot which ricochetted off two Bristol defenders before Tunnicliffe made sure.


Davies then headed in Bristol's fifth goal from Stephen Pearson's corner on 66 minutes before impressive substitute Tomasz Cywka pulled one back on 82 minutes.


Jason Scotland made it 5-3 in the first minute of five added on in injury time but the home team held on to win.