School of the Year
Springwell Community School helps provide education which is tailored to meet the needs of its pupils.
Staff work hard to provide a safe, happy, caring environment, and this was reinforced when Springwell was put forward for School of the Year by the parents of a little boy who is a pupil.
They said the school has a caring attitude towards children and has 'amazing, special and wonderful staff'.
After collecting the award, executive principal David Whitaker said:
"It's absolutely superb to have won this award. What is really special about this award is that it's not about Ofsted or education. Our children are never going to get the best exam results but they are going to be looked after really well and what makes this more special is we've been nominated by parents. I'm really honoured to know parents think so much about us. This is better than Ofsted. It's about parents and families and that's what really counts."
How does the school go that extra mile? Do they do something that you wouldn’t expect them to?
We know that there are some brilliant primary and secondary schools in Barnsley who inspire pupils to achieve more than just great exam results.
For our School of the Year award we want to look beyond the traditional measures of a great school – although achievement is important, this award will go to the school who inspires its pupils to be the best they can be.
The following points are intended as guidelines only, to help you with your nomination.
- Tell us something the school seems to be really good at.
- Describe things the school does to welcome you and make you feel comfortable? How does the school listen to people’s views and ideas?
- How does the school go that extra mile? Do they do something that you wouldn’t expect them to?
- Has the school done something really special for you or someone you know?
- What sort of things does the school do to be part of the local area or community?
- What has the school done to help pupils reach their potential?
- Tell us how this school inspires people and raises aspirations, regardless of exam results.
Our winner will offer something extra to its pupils and will give parents, carers and guardians the added assurance that this school listens and truly meets the emotional and intellectual needs of their child.
Barnsley S71 1AN
Telephone: 01226 730060http://bpl.org.uk/