Breaking NewsPumpkin tributes light the way for brothers

Asylum seekers no longer in Barnsley's best hotels

By Lynsey Bradford, Town Reporter Tuesday 19th August 2014
THE Home Office has confirmed asylum seekers will no longer be placed in plush Barnsley hotels.

A letter to the Labour shadow home office minister David Hanson said a commitment had been made between the Home Office and G4S to only use approved accommodation in Wakefield.

Asylum seekers were put up at two of Barnsley's best hotels after a shortage of space at a specialist hostel in Wakefield. Asylum seekers usually stay at Angel Lodge in Wakefield which has 250 beds.

But the Chronicle revealed in May how security company G4S booked a total of 405 rooms on half board (bed, breakfast and evening meal) - 356 at the Ramada Encore at Dodworth and 49 at the nearby, four star Holiday Inn - between mid March and late April.

Barnsley MP Dan Jarvis said: “The arrangement whereby asylum seekers could be accommodated in Barnsley hotels was not fit for purpose. Not only was it an ineffective use of taxpayers’ money, but it was also unhelpful to the asylum seekers themselves, dispersing them away from essential support services. “

** The full story appears in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated August 15. **
Posted by steve I Tue 19th Aug 2014 at 12:12pm

Disgusting

Posted by john I Tue 19th Aug 2014 at 6:54pm

and we wonder why they try to jump onto lorries and cant wait to get to the UK

Posted by andy peverley I Tue 19th Aug 2014 at 9:16pm

i fancy a couple o nites in there free oh silly me im british !!

Posted by Me, here, now I Wed 20th Aug 2014 at 8:38am

I`ll keep getting up for work at daft o`clock every day and paying my taxes so these people can live for free in this country, free housing, free health care, free shopping.........

Posted by gerry I Wed 20th Aug 2014 at 9:26pm

Barnsley people should hang their heads in shame

these people are asylum seekers ! do you know what that means ?

by the way , the ramada and other hotels are not 'plush' bit of over reporting their to wind some of you up

sad sad day when i see people from my home town talking like this ! hang your heads in shame.

Posted by Bob I Thu 21st Aug 2014 at 10:55am

The trouble with the term "asylum seeker" is that the genuine people who are seeking asylum from war torn countries, etc. are grouped together with the "scroungers". The same as when you talk about benefits and you have someone who cannot walk struggling to claim while an able-bodied scrounger gets all the cash they want (I have known both sides).

I have no problem with genuine asylum seekers having a bed and meal after the things they have been through... but as with benefit system, it's always the genuine claimers that suffer.

Posted by Jamie I Thu 21st Aug 2014 at 3:50pm

They have been misnamed as the vast majority of Asylum Seekers are economic migrants, we saw it with the war in Kosovan where most of the Kosovan asylum seekers were actually from Bulgaria and the same thing's going on now, they're all claiming to be from Syria or Iraq or various war-torn African countries but they're from all over and they destroy I.D. documents so it's hard to check.

Posted by Trisha NF I Thu 21st Aug 2014 at 5:43pm

As "asylum seekers" have to cross at least one safe country in order to reach the UK, I think we can assume that there are NO genuine asylum seekers arriving in the UK. They come to take advantage of the very generous (for them) benefits, and possibility of free housing, health care and education. It's high time that people woke up to what is happening in our country!!