Crime wave sweeps through Wombwell

By ashley ball, Wombwell/Dearne Reporter Tuesday 29th July 2014
Pd55239-6 Coun Dick Wraith and Coun Robert Frost

A COSTLY crime wave is sweeping through Wombwell, councillors have warned.

Even the some of the metal railings at the children's play area on Summer Lane have been stolen, while a basket swing has been broken and will not be replaced. Part of a metal slide at a play area on Roy Kilner Road has also been cut off.

Coun Dick Wraith said: "We have a CCTV camera in the park but we have not been able to catch anybody. Vandalism comes in waves and it has come back again."

Throughout the town more than half a dozen bus shelters have had their glass panels smashed.

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport confirmed Wombwell has been noted as a hotspot for bus shelters being damaged and they are considering installing meshing instead of glass panels in future.

Posted by Kay I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 1:07pm

On the last two occasions I've been through there every single bus shelter was smashed it looks awful - glad I don't live there and feel for the decent people that do

Posted by chris steele I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 1:18pm
Posted by John I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 7:53pm
Posted by annon I Thu 31st Jul 2014 at 1:10pm

I live near the summer lane park , and to my knowledge there is no camera at all , it really could do with one as the park is a disgrace , there isn't a dog poo bin and dog walkers have to use the bin (those who clean up after there dogs ) used by kids and parents and is usually overflowing . I know council have had cut backs but the other day there were 8 council workers sat around for 1 and half hours , 4 ride on mowers and they did a little strip of land behind the bungalows !!!! go figure . its a shame really because a lot of children use the park and teenagers in the evening , majority behave but there is a select few who don't and do things like throw dog muck bags at each other , maybe cctv would be a good idea afterall .

Posted by DAVID I Thu 31st Jul 2014 at 6:49pm

Terrible things are going on, it looks like people are not happy, we always blame young kids, but this Council look they even want to destroy their only thing for young people, the youth service,I live in the area and see it going on , its about time somebody thought about the future and our community.

Posted by SallieTaylor I Sun 3rd Aug 2014 at 4:32am

Its breaks your heart reading about the constant crime in the South Yorkshire area especially Wombwell.my home town.Its a sad situation every time you open the Chronicles pages you see animals mistreated childrens toys stolen , senior citizens violated , people being beaten up.What on earth is going on?