Mums step in to save kids prom night

By gail robinson, Town Reporter Tuesday 29th July 2014
The non-prom prom arranged by parents

A COUPLE of mums stepped into the breach and decided to organise a "non-prom prom" after their children were left heartbroken when told their school would not be staging one.

Some of the year 6 girls at Littleworth Grange Primary Academy had started looking at potential prom dresses last September when they began their final year at primary school.

By spring some had bought dresses and some boys had ordered suits to be hired for the night.

But then at Easter came the news none of the 10 and 11-year-olds or their parents expected- this year there was to be no prom.

Mum Emma Darby, from Harold Avenue, Lundwood, said: "We were told the staff did not have time to organise a prom.

"But there has been one every year for the past six or seven years, so all the kids just expected this year would be the same."

Emma says her daughter Nikita and her best friend Chloe Hawcroft were so upset by the news she and Chloe's mum Wendy decided to organise a prom themselves.

So they booked the Rigby suite at the Metrodome and 38 youngsters enjoyed a fun filled evening.

"The school did tell us we were not allowed to call it the Littleworth Grange prom, so we called it the non-prom prom," said Emma.

A spokeswoman at Littleworth Grange said: "When we asked the children this year if they wanted a prom or another activity more than half of them said they would prefer something else.

"The majority of pupils said they wanted a barbecue and so that is what we arranged and they all enjoyed it."

Posted by barnsleylad I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 7:33pm

i didn't have a prom at primary, it's not the end of the world. and whats with the limo? they'll only want something bigger for their prom leaving secondary school

Posted by Roy I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 9:29pm

Totally agree with BarnsleyLad. Its just something else thats been adopted from America. Fair enough, a prom for secondary school leavers, but primary school? who started that off?

Like BarnsleyLad says, parents are then going to be under pressure to make the secondary school prom bigger and better. Still, if people are daft enough I'm sure they'll bleat all over this post.

Posted by keri I Thu 31st Jul 2014 at 1:21pm

Didn't have one at primary either, think its daft, prom is all over the top for youngsters, why don't they just stick to one when they leave high school, when prom actually makes sense...celebrate end of exams etc..

Posted by patricia I Sun 3rd Aug 2014 at 10:44pm

excellent idea to cancel all these stupid prom nights... we never had them nor needed them in the last century. They are a great concern financially to hard pressed parents and to kids who don't conform to the artificial standard of beauty and grooming set by their peers. An excuse for bullying must be stamped out

Posted by Chloe I Tue 12th Aug 2014 at 11:48am

It was the bestprom ae ever wantedso I don't care if you are mad about

Posted by Chloe I Tue 12th Aug 2014 at 11:52am

It was the best prom ever I dont care if you hate but we was heartbroken even my freind nicolewas we had to orgonise one cos we paid lots of money for the dresses

Posted by Amira Jones I Tue 12th Aug 2014 at 12:08pm

I agree with chloe even though I didn't have 1 either but they are youngsters let them enjoy if they wanted one the other option was their parents orgonise one

Posted by Devina I Tue 12th Aug 2014 at 12:26pm
Posted by Kerry Anne I Tue 12th Aug 2014 at 12:31pm
Posted by Felicity I Mon 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:04pm

My 2 sons Adam(16) and Riley(11) both had their proms and loved it and my niece Sasha was let down I felt devasted that my two sons had a prom but their gourgeos cousin (12) did not get one ????