Parents fuming over packed lunch 'ban'

By Lynsey Bradford, Town Reporter Thursday 24th July 2014
Grimethorpe

OUTRAGED parents at a Grimethorpe primary school have been told pupils can no longer eat packed lunches and must pay for a school dinner.

Pupils at Milefield Primary were sent home with a letter from headteacher Paula Murray on Friday - the day the school broke up for the holidays - informing parents of the changes.

The letter explains the government initiative of providing a free school meal for children up to the age of seven. But it goes on to say changes are being made which will impact all children. Parents must pay £1.75 per child, per day from September, and the children will get breakfast of a slice of toast, milk and a healthy morning snack, lunch and homemade pudding, and an afternoon snack of fruit.

A spokesman for the school said: "Milefield Primary School's governing body has taken the decision to implement a whole school meal provision in line with government guidance."

** The full story appears in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated July 25. **

Posted by disgusted parent I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 5:28pm

Who do they think they are telling parents not to send children to school with a packed lunch? This is bang out of order and the school knows it or the letter would have been sent at least a week earlier so parents could challenge the decision. If my son asked for a packed lunch thats what hed go to school with and if teachers took it off him id want them arrested and charged for it. Do the teachers also have to abide by same rule? Highly doubtful as they would prob strike over it.

Posted by Shari I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 6:02pm

I'll be sendin my son with packed lunch he's a fussy 5yr old eater and if they refuse I'll be taking him out for lunch simple as that!!

Posted by Roy I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 6:27pm

Nothing like taking away freedom of choice. Gud ol excuses from the school, forcing parents to pay for something else. Theres not a week goes by that schools are wanting money for this that and the other.

What really annoys me, is they brain wash kids, which when they get home pester parents for money or they face ridicule from other kids. Every family feels the same pressure, no matter what help they may or may not get. A pound here and there, for this that and the other soon amounts up

Posted by Can't see what all the fuss is about I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 6:37pm

Can't see how you could get all that for £1.75 in to a lunch box. Providing there is some choice for the kids for those who have dietary and allergy requirements and likes / dislikes. Doesn't hurt to try something new to eat.

Posted by Mum I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 6:44pm

@SHARI Parents make children fussy eaters by not saying no. I think this is a good idea. You can't set a healthy packed lunch for less than 1.50 a day anyway and the other 25p will provide the toast and the snack. I think this is a great idea, it keeps all the children equal, provides hot meals in the cold months and cold options when it's warm. I agree teachers knew this would make parents kick off and thats why it went out on the last day but that doesn't stop it being a good idea. Parents should want whats best for their kids, how is a sandwich, bag of crisp and an apple better than a balanced diet?

Posted by Angry parent I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 7:11pm

Must say that it is ridiculous. Our children go to this school and with 2 children in juniors and not qualifying for "free dinners" as both me and my husband work.. This means we will be paying nearly £700 a year on ONE MEAL CHOICE I might point out.. No veggie option, ONE MEAL and if your child doesn't like it it's tough. I believe the school have gone about this the wrong way and a lot more parent consultation would have been better!

It's clearly all about the money and taking away the option of a packed lunch the school thinks that we have no other option, but if they think we will just roll over and take this they are sadly miss taken!

Posted by Claire I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 7:22pm

Parents dunt make fussy eaters at all wat a load a crap ave got 2 boys 1 eats anything n the ova dunt eat very much at all but both been brought up the same the point is that there's only 1 choice who are the school to dictate wat my 2 kids eat

Posted by Bob I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 7:49pm

Posted by Mum on Thursday 24th July 2014 at 5:44pm

In relation to the above comment parents do not make children fussy eaters, children have their own minds and their own opinions, saying no doesn't make a child a non fussy eater.

It's not the fact that a packed lunch can be made for less than £1.75 a day, it's the fact the the basic human right of freedom of choice has been taken away and people are being forced to pay for something that their child may not like. They have taken it upon themselves to make assumptions that the children need breakfast (of white bread which isn't that healthy is it?) people don't take kindly to being dictated to, a bit of forewarning and consultation wouldn't have gone amiss. There is also no choice as they appear to have missed out in the article. So hot or cold meals if the children are hot. Won't be an option.

Parents want packed lunches back as there is no option at lunch, you either like it or you don't. And we all know hungry children won't concentrate well etc, so in this case a packed lunch is better than a dinner when they may not like it and it's a possible waste of money.. And this is clearly parents wanting what is best for their kids..

Posted by Paul Goodchild I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 7:51pm
Posted by Dabsy I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 7:55pm
Posted by disgusted member of the public I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 8:14pm

Well 'dont know what all the fuss is about' if you can't get fill a luchbox for £1.75 how can they provide a meal cooked from scratch with quality produce for the same price. Parents should have the choice. As for toast for breakfast kids should have breakfast before they leave home. May be the school should invite parents in to see and taste the meals before the choice is taken away. As for not consulting with parents, well that is not the way to implement such a big change responsibly that just says alot about the leadership if the school.

Posted by Jade I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 8:37pm

Course you can make a packed lunch for £1.75 a day! Thats almost £10 for the full week.. loaf of bread, sandwich filling, fruit, will cost just about that maybe a little more but what difference does it make? You will be paying either way your children are your children ans shouldnt be forced to eat anything they dont want to or have their options taken away from them. Packed lunches were never a problem when i was a kid and we were aloud biscuits and crisps now and again and im not obese.. what does it matter what they eat at school they cant change what they eat at home. At the end of the day parents know best for their children!

Posted by Amazed I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 9:23pm

Judging by some of the grammar and syntax in some of the comments on this story, it's the parents who should be in school! Shocking!

Posted by AMAZING,thinking out of the box! I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 9:36pm

What an amazing oppurtunity for children all that healthy nourishment at such a low cost!!!

Wish my children went to that school,what a considerate head teacher and leadership team!

Posted by Brill idea I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 9:40pm

This school obviously cares about childrens wellbeing and not just there academic achievements!

Wish more school were like this!

Posted by Horsecrap I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 10:01pm

@Amazed this is a serious topic for a lot of parents on low income.So put your grammar police on a break along with your ridiculously off topic comments.I for one have had in the past many run ins with schools that seem to promote education and communication,while not being up to the task of communicating basic changes like these to parents in an orderly fashion.Another example of money grabbing and greed over choice and the children s well being.

Posted by concerned dad I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 10:04pm

Who cant make a packed lunch for less than £1.75 per day loaf of bread £1, packet of ham £1.35, bag of 7 apples £1, choc biscuit £1 and multi bag of crisps £1.50 per week if my maths is right that works out at £1.17 per day

Posted by Claire I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 10:14pm

You always get that certain person that has to comment on spelling when really it's about packed lunches and a can,t see how you can comment if you don,t know the full details

Posted by parents need to read!! I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 10:25pm

£1.17!!

Thts a rate healthy pack lunch! Biscuits n' crisps? What about the hot meal,healthy snacks not forgetting there for both morn and aft,a glass of milk and breakfast! Surely that would cost a hell lot more then £1.75! You cant compare this dys worth of food to £1.17 cheap pack up!

Posted by Claire I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 10:38pm

A hot meal in weather like this are you for real and maybe some parents don,t mind paying for there kids a healthy packed lunch

Posted by Evette Jenkins I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 10:58pm

£1.10 per child per day including breakfast and a piece of fruit for a snack, a sandwich, cheese, fruit, yoghurt and god forbid a chocolate biscuit and small bag of crisps, and sugar free squash. They get to have a healthy meal at home with all the family so a bag of crisps of biscuit is fine as part if a healthy balanced diet. When you have two children that's a saving of £6 a week, so we aren't talking pence. Plus like I've said before it's my choice what feed them, they aren't over weight or under weight so why has anyone else got the right to dictate what or how I choose to feed my children?

Posted by No choice didn't affect us as kids! I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 11:29pm

School dinners were brill when I was a lad! We had no choice and it was dinners or home! No pack lunch

About time kids of today were treated how we were when we were at school'!!! I bet not all kids pack lunches are like what has been written on here! Too much convenience food/smart price rubbish/ take outs eaten by kids of today! Home made good food is what kids need!

Posted by Adam a concerned Dad of 3 I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 11:30pm

To the ones who think this is a good idea and the school are caring for our kids, you know nothing of the situation,we have had no menu from the school, no idea what the healthy snacks are, no idea what will happen if our child didn't like the meal put infront of them!

The only things we have heard are from one parent who's child was on a pilot scheme and was give cookies as the healthy snack some days and fruit cake as the fruit snack, also the menu wexan find online (may not be the actuall one) includes such nourishing foods as All Day Breakfast, Pizza and chips, Pie, Hot dog etc not fantastic!

Also I can make a packed lunch with 3 of my kids 5 a day for around £1 per day, my kids also have breakfast before they leave home so why do they need toast at 9am?? Then a snack an hour later then their lunch then a snack an hour later? They will be feeding kids 4 times in 6 hours which to me is unnecessary!

So there you are a small explanation of the situation, also just one for all you who like this idea to think about, would you go to a restaurant and pay for a meal if there was only one choice on the menu and you didn't like it?? I know I wouldn't so why should our kids have to??

Posted by N. David. I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 11:48pm

Great initiative providing kids with a healthy intake of food each day at a very good cost to parents. Should have been implemented years ago. Parents should not think they are being dictated to, this is a very good scheme, makes sense

Posted by Oliver I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 11:49pm

I doubt any school is allowed to give the things mentioned without it following strict dietary guidelines-Jamie Oliver definatrly didn't do his work in schools for nothing. A new school yr is a good way to set off a new programme and think mr Oliver would be impressed with this school

Posted by Jamie Gladwin I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 1:43am

It's great idea, I hate to see comments like my 5 year old is a fussy Eater. When what it really means is you just feed them what they want like sweets and ****. Most parents either have no idea how to feed their child or just don't give a ****. And all that food for a couple of quid sounds like an awesome deal to me.

Posted by dad of 2 I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 1:55am

A what about kids with specific dietry requirements?

Are they gonna say its tough

Posted by Rita I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 2:16am

It’s about funding, from September 2014 all pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 should receive free school meals, the guidance says nothing about older children. According to the guidance existing entitlements to free school meals at key stages 2-4 should continue as normal. However, the school receives a premium for each child that has a 'Universal Free School Meal' under this scheme and receives cash from the Academies Capital Maintenance Fund. The guidance also states that ‘Schools will not be expected to make take-up of meals by infant pupils mandatory. Schools have the freedom to set their own policies in relation to packed lunches, and that will not change.’ (Oh, really?)

Posted by Amazed I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 7:15am

Claire. I rest my case!

Posted by Karly dearden I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 8:18am

What about peoples freedom of choice ? Or are we not allowed one any more. Another money maker from the government and another expense.

Posted by Rubbish I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 8:19am

Utter bull **** If its about funding why are other schools charging more for dinner and only dinner!!! £1.95 where my daughter goes I also pay for my child's milk and your getting that aswell and breakfast!! I pay £8 each term and 50p for toast a day and if she goes to breakfast club its £3.50 per day! Sounds like this school is splitting cost and putting money towards making the best possible deal for parents! Get into the real world and find out what other schools are offering before you slate a school that seems to be doing above and beyond for your kids! Laughable

Posted by Karly I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 8:25am

My son goes to this school and eats dinners so nothing will change for me he also has breakfast at home but for people with more children than one attending that send there kids with packed lunch might struggle

Posted by Evette I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 10:08am

How is completely removing my choice of what to feed my child "the best possible deal". This is not in the best interest for my children or family at all and had the school bothered to consult us they would have known that, But I mean what would I know right, I'm only their parent? As for children fetching in inadequate food to school for the day, surely thats neglect and therefore a safeguarding issue that the school staff should be dealing along with the relevant agencies on an indervidual basis?

Posted by Evette I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 10:46am

Like I've said before my children are going to school with a packed lunch in September, I can't see how the school can force me to pay for something my children don't need and I haven't agreed too. Also the government guidance on school food states that "facilities to eat the food that they bring to school must be provided free of charge for pupils not taking school meals. As a minimum there facilities should include accommodation, furniture and supervision so that pupils can eat food they have brought from home in a safe and social environment (Department for Education 2014). So can't really see how the school can stop them eating it either? This was published July this year so current.

Posted by Pru I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 1:46pm

What a joke,never trust anything the government does they are only there to benefit themselves,and I doubt for 1.75 it's gonna be a good standard of food.at the end of the day this is wrong. It's been forced on people it'll be us next on rice and beans tell em to f* k off

Posted by jayne kelsey I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 2:46pm

as a child i was grateful for whatever meal was placed in front of me if school dinners had not been available i would have probably starved but this is not the issue it does not matter what the school serves or how healthy it is this is about infringing on a parents rights as to how they raise there child and what they feed it.you would not start a job where the boss dictated what you ate?? so why are they been allowed to do it to children

Posted by Reader I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 2:49pm

I think you're all forgetting that the school will buy its produce in bulk. If you think the meals actually cost £1.75 for the school to provide then you are sadly deluded.

Posted by Victoria I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 3:38pm

@ amazed I think you're missing the whole point of the story.. It's about school meals and not about grammar, syntax or anything else to do with how we choose to form our views on here, so I think you should stop attempting to belittle people on here as it won't work. You're only making a fool of yourself.

In regards to the story, I find it quite simply ridiculous! But we won't let them win! They underestimate the power of the Grimethorpe community spirit!

Posted by D.Green I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 5:11pm

I honestly can't understand how anyone with an ounce of common sense doesn't realise what a good move this is!!!!! Children getting 2 meals, milk and 2 healthy snscks all for £1.75... All my 4 children went to this school, 3 of them all at the ssme time. I know for a fact if this was the case when they were there I would have gladly paid £5.25 a day for such a nutrious diet for them. My food bill would have easily halved. All my children enjoy a tradional meal, fruit and milk.

I honestly can't see what all this fuss is about... seems to me its parents who have far too much time on their hands and are bored therefore feel the need to blow something completely out of proportion!!!!!! Think of what is seriously happening around the world and how lucky we all really are. Get a grip n let your children enjoy school like we all used to do without embarassing them!!!!!

Posted by Works at the school I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 7:10pm
Posted by Think before you comment I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 8:51pm
Posted by Takes p*** I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 9:21pm
Posted by Amazed I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 9:46pm

Victoria. I think I've made my point! Good nutrition has been proven to improve concentration and achievement in education. Some of the posters on here could benefit from some square meals, it seems! Turkey Twizzler, anyone? I have as much right to contribute as you, or anyone else, by the way!

Posted by Why is grimethorpe special? I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 11:17pm

Money making?!! How?! Get real! My son school dinners are £2 per day and he don't get toast snacks or his milk for year paid for!! Your saving £24 quid a year on just milk alone with the offer this school is giving. Schools can't make a profit on dinners! Auditors would have a field day- reading between lines seems like a few parents got issues with change

Posted by minority means nothing!! I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 11:21pm

It seems out of a school of over 200 children that only a few of their parents disagree with the policy of no packed lunches!!?? What is their problem??? I truthfully don't understand??? Why does the rest of the parents totally agree with this??? What does this say about these parents...?? controlling maybe, bombastic, arrogent, bored??? Unfortunately not intelligent enough to see a good thing when it hits them in the face. Unable to accept change... what chance have their children got in life if thats how adults in their life react to a slight beneficial change!!!!??? Parents need to be more mature and positive instead of giving negative vibes out to their children, this does actually rub off on their children. Remember they r our next generation. All this school wants to do is help parents n their children, is that such a big issue... Don't think soooooo!!

Posted by merlin I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 11:41pm

Everyone got the letter on the last day of school because has normal the school don't like talking to parents just telling us at the last minute as normal. If the school thought this was a good idea they would have told everyone about it before hand explaining what's on the menu and the healthy snacks they will be giving are children. Also telling us what the benefits are and what the school goals are by doing this. If this had been done parent would have understood more what your goals are even if some parent don't like it. For me its bad leadership on Ms Murray part and I've concerns on how the school is teaching are children if this is the attitude taken with how changes happen with in the school.

Posted by Mark I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 12:53am

In reply to Roy, I couldn't agree more when you mention brain-washing kids. One example for me

Posted by wattersworld I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 1:26am
Posted by ... I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 8:07am

I think this is a great idea, it ensures kids are getting at least some fruit and veg everyday and makes all the kids equal. Cant see what there is to complain about, you cant make a pack up for 1.75 per day and provide snacks aswell for that.

Posted by Parent of milefield I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 8:50am

My daughter goes to this school and has both dinners and pack lunches my issue would be as soon as she wakes up she wants breakfast therefore if toast was available she would have that also then lunch as it is now second helpings available too buns treacle sponge ect for pud she would eat me if I stood still but forced to do this everyday I cannot regulate what she eats at all at least with a pack lunch I can minimize her intake to a healthy level

Posted by Bullies I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 8:59am

Sounds like certain parents have issues with the head! Not pack lunches Be a proper parent and take it up with the Headteacher in private rather than being like ring leaders of a hate campaign!! This is turning to playground bullying!!! People who get bullied are the ones who look different or do something different to others! Why should this head get slated/bullied for rolling something different out. Ba very sad boring world if we/children/schools were all the same. Support this head don't bully them!!!!!!

Posted by 4kids I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 9:19am

This is a fantastic school that does above and beyond for kidsin grimey.parents need to remember tht we could be sendin our kids to a school tht is failing!Brill idea by the way I support Ms Murray 100% bout time you all did

Posted by Good idea I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 9:41am

I dunt get your problem?! Ms Murray sent home a three page letter telling us about the plans and its benefits from a pilot scheme How much more info do we need How is that bad leadership its says families were tested on and all involved reported amazing things.My friends children did the pilot and they were all buzzing!!! Ms murray hasn't bragged or show boated the results or even told parents that she paid for the pilot scheme. No cost implication for my friend there (all those families on pilot for four weeks n they paid nowt) she doesn't say in letter tht all toast/snacks/milk is being paid for by school because she dunt brag . Ud pay £1.75 for dinner even if ms Murray wernt doing this in sept. She is a good headteacher trying t help us... and governors new all about it because my friends were asked all time by governors how it was going on pilot. Kids loved it n families who on it did. Proves it works n all families on pilot wa working families Ms Murray chose them coz she wanted to see if saved em money My friend food bill went down n ad more money left at end of the 4wks

Posted by Totally agree I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 11:34am

In response to bullies!!!!! Yes I agree leave the school cook and the Headteacher ALONE There are schools out there that need whipping into shape and have issues with teaching. This school is showing children and families how to think out of the box and be inspirational! Aiming high-this school want ALL children to have the best chance of success.Top tip- u don't have to send your children or take them to this school! Register them somewhere else or suck it up and embrace this fantastic change! This Headteacher and school needs praising and a big pat on the back for there pioneering plan! Well done milefield primary I salute you and your tinasity keep up the good work

This country needs more school and headteachers like you

Posted by Letter I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 11:52am

So what if you got letter on last day! Its Bart what's happenin in the new school yr! Atleast you got a letter unlike other schools who bombard parents with txt messages and nowt else! This school has took time to share it in a letter they could o just sent a txt sept sayin no pack lunches! Sounds like good communication t me unlike other schools in this area

Posted by Letter I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 11:56am

Oh n by way Merlin how is 6wks notice -the last minute??????? Were in July not implanted til sept!!!! Short notice????????????? More like long notice

Posted by Milefield parents I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 12:37pm

We support the plan as parents of the school n think this is a fab idea!! It is a small minority tht are kicking off! Grimethorpe thnk the school for giving its best to our children

Posted by Evette I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 1:22pm

I have a university education, I don't smoke, I go out a few times a year for a drink. I'm not bored (I have four children and me and my husband work full time hours so impossible). I have no personal issues at all with the head teacher or any other member of staff for that matter. I just happen to feel strongly about sharing family meal times and feel I should be allowed to be in full control my family budget without an outside agency (who have no idea about my personal circumstances or all the other families affected for that matter) dictating to me how I feed my own children. I emailed asking for a meeting to discuss this matter with the head and other than a reply to say my email had been received I've had no response.

Posted by Evette I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 1:26pm

Oh and I happen to believe in fighting for what you believe in and sticking up for your rights, I act as an advocate for people at work every day so why wouldn't I do the same for my own children. If my children learn a lesson from this I hope it is to stick up for what you believe in.

Posted by Holidays I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 2:09pm
Posted by Evette I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 2:24pm

Wel, if there is no-one working at all in the holidays then we haven't been given 6 weeks to sort anything out then have we?

Posted by Minority I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 2:41pm
Posted by Sue I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 2:44pm

@wattersworld what makes you thing that we don,t work n are bored I for 1 don,t drink smoke cigs or do weed n go to work you properly ant got kids in this school just jump on band wagon wi your ***** opinion we'll keep it to your self in future if you don,t know full details ms murrey is a fab head teacher n so are all the other teachers for that matter it's how it's been gone about what is a problem and thes more than just a few people that has a problem with this

Posted by Mother of 3 I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 4:51pm

Would really like some answers from the school but they don't seem to want to respond to any emails and did not answer the phone

Why do they need to eat 4 times in 6 hours?

When will the children be eating these snacks?

What if I cannot afford the school dinners?

What if my child doesn't like the meal that day?

Lots more of unanswered questions that need answers too

I see some of you know everything so maybe you can answer my questions?

Posted by Best Headteacher ever I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 4:59pm

OMG u all need to get a reality check! Ms Murry is best Headteacher out school has ever had! She has made fab changes to the school and really cares about families in grimey. She has helped me through tuff times gone above n beyond for my family n kids. Do u really think tht as a single workin mum herself ms Murray wants to make things more difficult for our kids n parents of grimey!! She fab n needs tellin rather thn parents slatin her n school

Posted by eldictator I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 7:02pm

"My yuman rights are being taken, my poor babies may have to eat broccoli and fruit with a knife and fork with fellow students, Won't anyone think of the children!! " The fact that the choice of a packed lunch hasn't worked is clear to see on the streets of our towns, lard buckets waddling down the street with ADHD etc These meals are being subsidised to bring down the cost to a reasonable level and as a tax payer I agree that this is benficial to the children and the community. It's about time we got inline with other schools globally, we're being put to shame by third world countries, because the food we provide and choice means children are actually under nourished. Research suggests balanced school dinners are benefiical, lets go

Posted by CLARE I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 9:06pm

my son goes to this school and as a school as a whole its good both my children have achieved things at this school. i already pay for my son to have school meals so its not the paying that bothers me what does bother me is the right to have a choice a dinner time. my son wouldnt eat some of the meals that were on offer so he used to have jacket but now that choice as been taken away from him and its that what concerns me more than anything that his right of choice as been taken away.

Posted by Parents hard to plz I Sun 27th Jul 2014 at 1:46am
Posted by Can't make profit I Sun 27th Jul 2014 at 2:29am

Response to minority!! Schools can not make profit and benefit from it!' Nice little earner ???? What planet are you on! Money from selling toast will be used to purchase more bread for the following day etc not put in the heads wage or staff wages!! This is an establishment not a profit making bushiness!! :schools have to set budgets and show how its being spent and any money's not spent are clawed back by the authority! You make school sound like its run by Del Boy and trotters independent!!!!! Ducking n diving trying to make as much brass as poss! This is a school not a corner shop or cafe!!! Toast is sold so children are ready to learn and can function properly in the morning!! Not so the head can count up how much profit she has made that week!!! This is about children's capacity to learn and if you are starving and not eaten since the day before how can you achieve your best academically!

Posted by wendy I Sun 27th Jul 2014 at 1:37pm

Be summat else where government will benefit from...

Posted by Democratic angel I Mon 28th Jul 2014 at 3:56pm

Seriously some of the comments here have shocked me no ones attacking the head teacher in a personal manner they are attacking the lack of information. It may be 3 pages long but no one is none the wiser as to what the children will actually be fed. It is a good thing to supply free school meals and no-one is disputing that as far as I can see? But the issue is taking away choice from those parents and children who DON'T have neglect issues and those who simply prefer a packed lunch.

Giving a choice doesn't mean those neglected children won't get a hot lunch. The option is still there.

You can't treat all parents as though they are neglectful and take away their choices as parent.

Posted by Billie Stewart I Mon 28th Jul 2014 at 10:59pm

Do you have any idea how many children go to school without breakfast? And for whom the only decent meal they get all day is at school?

Posted by T I Wed 30th Jul 2014 at 11:30pm

I think that it is a good idea but one that has been implemented without good communication with parents.

I am currently working in a primary school in Seoul, South Korea and all schools here have the same system for lunch. It works well there are very few overweight students (I understand there are more factors than food to this) and the parents and students know what will be served for lunch each day one month in advance. Although the cost will be an issue for some parents, the food provided is nutritious and enough to keep kids full until dinner time. It also saves time for busy parents who have to work and have little time in the mornings.

I think the school should have consulted with parents first and explained fully in advance as it would have given them more of a chance to convince them.

But in the long run the most important thing is that children are eating healthily and not going hungry, which I see this new system as doing.

Posted by Infuriated Parent I Fri 1st Aug 2014 at 6:45pm

What I've noticed while reading all these positive/negative comments is that not once had anyone mentioned the numerous times milk hasn't been delivered, fruit wasn't available and the times toast/dinners weren't available as the kitchen was closed for god know what reason. My child has mentioned several times they haven't even been allowed to bathroom or to even refill water bottle on hot days. We had NO warning of this, regardless of the "6 weeks notice" we cannot discuss this with ANY member of staff. We have NO idea of what the menu plan is and we do not know what our child is to eat should that days "option" be something they dislike. My child will eat almost everything, and regularly took a packed lunch with fruit, sandwich, water and pack of crisps. 9/10 my child will pick fruit over most things but the amount of times a cookie or an iced biscuit was served as "pudding" is ridiculous. There will be no savings in my house as we all sit down as a family to a cooked meal in the evening. Parents were given NO chance to even give their opinion on the matter. My child WILL be starting the new term with a packed lunch. MY child, MY choice!!!

Posted by joey I Sun 3rd Aug 2014 at 10:02am

read above comments - sums up whats wrong with this country in a nutshell

Posted by Parents I Sun 3rd Aug 2014 at 12:04pm

Parents are the main factor in all childrens problems! - sod being authoritarian, we have several generations where about 50% of the parenting that goes on seems to be terrible - we need to do something about it!

Posted by Lived abroad-this is normal I Sun 3rd Aug 2014 at 12:10pm

I grew up in Brazil and went to estate schools there where they gave free school meals: fruits (oranges, bananas etc), rice, beans....pasta...chicken etc ..freshly cooked and varied dishes.

I was surprised to then arrive in the UK at a estate school (good estate school in a nice area in Essex) and see all the junk that kids eat at home or fed by parents oily pizzas...all frozen food ...which is microwaved...little nutritional value.

The problem is that at home these kids eat crap Good schooling really should happen at home. Teach the parents and the kids will follow...

All schools are doing is educating and ensuring children get the best!

Posted by Agree I Sun 3rd Aug 2014 at 12:15pm

Live abroad-I think in all honesty sometime stye parents are beyond teaching, it's very sad but very true, I was fortunate to have very good parents who provided breakfast and a hot cooked meal every night on top of the meals I had at school, but not all children are so fortunate.

I agree with you 100% by the way, but how do we go about teaching adults?

Posted by Mrs F Baker I Thu 11th Sep 2014 at 9:39pm

This woman is out of her mind , how can working parents (the ones that have to pay ) come and pick there child up (when they are WORKING YES WORKING parents ) at dinner time if they dont like it . I would suppose the percentage that agreed to this are probably on benefits

Posted by Angered observer I Thu 11th Sep 2014 at 10:09pm

This is beyond belief! I tasted school meals at mydaughter's previous school and I had over cooked pasta with disgusting tomato sauce. the headteacher's nonverbals are incredible and to expect working parents to take children home for lunch is beyond belief!!! I'd really like to help out but can't find the Facebook page.