Farm celebrates with expansion plan

By gail robinson, Town Reporter Tuesday 29th July 2014
Cannon Hall Farm

A BARNSLEY farm is celebrating 25 years in the tourism industry with a plan designed to make it the biggest and best farm park in the UK.

When farmer, Roger Nicholson took his idea of opening his struggling, debt laden farm to the public, his bank manager's response was brief and to the point. "Mr Nicholson, face reality, you've never been able to support your wife and family. I suggest you sell up while you still have something to sell."

However, Roger decided to fight for his family's future and found another bank to back the venture.

Stage two of a £3.5 million project at Cannon Hall Farm is now underway.

The first stage was a 50,000 sq ft, £1.5 million farmyard that opened in July last year.

That is now being following by the construction of an indoor play concept, classrooms and a small animal handling zone. This along with a refit of the farm shop and the fitting of an eco-friendly biomass boiler will cost around £2m.

Posted by adam I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 5:05pm

good to hear about the success but which farm is it please?

Posted by Martin I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 5:14pm

It looks like Cannon hall farm

Posted by Maureen Twycross I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 5:17pm

Well done. Cannon Hall Farm is a wonderful place to take children, plus staff in butchers deli cafe or anywhere else on the farm are the friendliest you could wish to meet and make it a pleasure to visit,

Posted by Beverley cope I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 6:16pm

Fair play to you pal, when I was at school we visited a farm watched how the new machines now milk the cows then how they used to milk them originally and tractor rides and a trailer, I have never forgot my experiences, just a real shame schools don't do trips like this now days a lot more hands on than a trip to the zoo.

Posted by Vicki I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 6:16pm

Excellent I have loved this place since being a young child although I have now moved out of the Barnsley area due to work i still have family on the area that I visit cannon hall farm with. Keep up the good work Roger

Posted by George I Tue 29th Jul 2014 at 6:47pm

Excellent news, been my local Farm shop for all those 25 years and the quality is outstanding, friendly staff and they treat their staff well too. Somewhere for Barnsley to be proud of.

Posted by kevin I Wed 30th Jul 2014 at 8:11am

Does sound good, but is stage two going to increase the entrance fee to the farm, which I believe is a bit pricey when you take a family of 5 to it.

Posted by Ron I Wed 30th Jul 2014 at 12:11pm

That's the trouble with these "attractions" none are family friendly when it comes to pricing policy.

Posted by Bobby I Wed 30th Jul 2014 at 2:56pm

Did anyone actually read the article? I tells you which farm it is about half way through

Posted by Judith heppinstall I Thu 31st Jul 2014 at 12:19am

Wonderful for everyone. Good look mr Nicholson. We will be looking forward to our future visits.

Posted by Roland I Thu 31st Jul 2014 at 3:10pm

been going to Cannon Hall Farm for years and can only praise the staff. Love the place and we visit at least once a week. The food in the farm shop tea rooms is always excellent. well worth a visit

Posted by concerned I Thu 31st Jul 2014 at 6:35pm