Stairfoot roundabout to be overhauled

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Friday 18th July 2014
An aerial view of Stairfoot roundabout

THE notorious bottleneck at Stairfoot roundabout is to undergo yet another round of major changes in a bid to tackle queues.

The roundabout will be made three-lanes all the way around by widening the section between Doncaster Road and Hunningley Lane.

The works will be paid for by Sainsbury's as a condition of planning permission for its conversion of the B and Q store to a supermarket, which was approved on Tuesday.

Doncaster Road coming down from Ardsley, and Bleachcroft Way, where the B and Q store exit meets traffic from Wombwell Lane, up to the roundabout, will all be made three-lane through widening and the removal of bus lanes.

The bus lane through the central island will also be closed.

** The full story appears in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated July 18. **

Posted by natasha chaudhary I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 10:06am

Glad to hear that the central bus lane will be closed as its currently a death trap for the bus drivers. Car drivers cannot see the bus come out of the central island and so queue up in front of it so when lights turn green, the buses can't go anywhere. It's been a problem for a long time now.

Posted by Terry I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 11:14am

Hope that they also REMOVE the Signals ON the Roundabout as this is one of the causes of the bottleneck at the roundabout.

Posted by sally wheatley I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 11:24am

Why are sainsburys paying?? Wanted doing for yonks!! X

Posted by Gary Naylor I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 11:53am

This is all well in the long run but what about the disruption to traffic while the work is being carried out !!

Posted by Mick I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 11:55am

I hope it works. Initial worry is that 3 lanes rather than 2 is more scope for people to be in wrong lane

Posted by jellybean I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:10pm

taking the lights off would only add to the problem at busy times coming down hunningley lane its impossible to get out trust me I have tried, however not on busy times at night turning off the lights would be a good idea I have been sat at a red light no other car in sight still not sure with all the changes the are proposed it will make any difference at all., bottle neck it is.. bad planning at the start nobody thought about todays traffic.

Posted by jase I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:13pm

With all the money spent down there over the years they could have put a fly over from ardsley to barnsley with a small roundabout under with NO lights, crazy the lights are the problem just switch them off.

Posted by mark I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:22pm

the signals were only put on to spend the money the council had spend or they'd have lost it, when it were first built there were no signals and no problems, go figure eh ?

Posted by Wendy I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:24pm

Natasha if you cant see the Bus luv, ya should'nt be driving lol

Posted by ian I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:32pm

Just turn the traffic lights OFF, it flows great when they are out of order.

Similarly with lots of round a bouts now, such as town end, they have pedestrian crossings on each of the roads leading off. I know there is peoples safety to think about, but these cause the traffic to not get off the roundabout and as such it backs up and then vehicles cannot get on.

I think there should be pedestrian bridges to the centre of large round a bouts for pedestrians, that would be ultimately safer.

Posted by Tony Broadhurst I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:53pm

Stop changing the timings at weekends would also help traffic to run smoother.

There is more traffic at weekends than during the week, yet at weekends if you are going all the way round you stop at every set of lights.

Surely this is not feasible if there's going to be more traffic than usual due to another supermarket.

Posted by JB88 I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 12:58pm

Whats going to happen to all the bunny rabbits!!!!

Posted by Mick Sweeney I Fri 18th Jul 2014 at 3:19pm

Great article about the congested roundabout which, in fairness, does need sorting out. However, wouldn't the accompanying arial photograph have a bigger impact if it had shown the roundabout whilst congested !! that photo must have been taken at 8.00am on a Sunday !

Posted by Neil Auty I Sun 20th Jul 2014 at 10:00pm

This is a drivers nightmare, with road markings in conflict with signage and signs obscured by way too many traffic lights. Taking people to drive here on their test is also unfair, as even experienced drivers find this monstrosity a challenge. Road planners and highways authority alike should be chastised for their management of this piece of tarmac hell. Local destinations are not even signed until drivers are already committed to particular lanes, and someone out of town, like myself, will easily find themselves driving to somewhere they never ever intended to be going to.

Posted by G I Tue 22nd Jul 2014 at 8:50pm

A simple flyover from Ardsley to barnsley would solve this driving disaster zone. Also let's get rid of the traffic control which only makes things 100 times worse.

Posted by lol I Fri 25th Jul 2014 at 10:45am