Bedroom tax campaigners claim a victory

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Friday 18th July 2014

CAMPAIGNERS against the 'bedroom tax' say recent court rulings have given them a 'victory' which should encourage people to appeal against their cuts in benefits.

Tracey Ann Holland, 47, of Summer Lane, Barnsley, is vice-chairwoman of Barnsley Against the Bedroom Tax.

She said: "Two people have now won their cases at tribunal, on the grounds of size and use, so I personally am going to appeal. It sets a legal precedent."

Tracey had her housing benefit cut by £10.86 per week when the so-called bedroom tax came in, because she lives alone in a two bedroom flat.

However she argues that her 4ft 6in square box room is not big enough to be classified as a bedroom, and she uses it just to store medical equipment related to her disability.

The group is hosting a meeting at the Central Library, Wellington House, on Monday, 5.30pm, with Coun Liz Grundy in attendance.

** The full story is in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated July 18. **

Posted by Tax Payer I Sat 19th Jul 2014 at 11:03pm
Posted by also tax payer I Sun 20th Jul 2014 at 11:33am

I pay tax also but some people who have real disabilities are being victimized with this bedroom tax ,this government just like filling there own pockets and leaving the vulnerable in poverty ,I agree with this campaign and hope this so called bedroom tax is abolished .

Posted by Dave C I Sun 20th Jul 2014 at 4:17pm

Erm, I agree, its not a TAX.... Its just giving people less free money. Puts it all in perspective watching benefits Britain. Why should single people get benefits for a free 3 bed house. They shouldnt. If you are on free money then you should get the absolute bare minimum. Maybe they should cancel the sky package and use that money to pay for the extra room.

Posted by Tom I Mon 21st Jul 2014 at 3:15am

The bedroom tax exceeds the cost differential of an extra room.

An extra room is some 11% more than the applicable rent, bedroom tax is 14% of applicable rent.

If one is to argue it (the bedroom tax) is a subsidy that is being withdrawn, then one should argue that the bedroom tax is reduced so that it is equal to cost of an extra bedroom.

There is also the definition of a bedroom to be factored in, what is a bedroom, and how should it be charged for, taking into account space standards, natural light from windows etc.

With social rents overtaking private rents in barnsley, we also have to define who is being subsidised. The social rents are above market value, and everyone in a Barnsley coucnil house is being forced to pay over the odds.

We live in an area of relatively low demand for housing. The bedroom tax does not work in the borough, we end up with rows of empty houses and homeless people.

If we lived in an area of high housing demand, the bedroom tax might make sense.

However, we should never have needed a bedroom tax in the first place were it not for artificial housing scarcity and high housing demand driven by planning restrictions, lack of building and NET immigration.

Posted by karen perry I Wed 23rd Jul 2014 at 12:01pm

I have a four bedroom house, two large rooms two small box rooms three of my children have moved out leaving two more at home, I used to use that room as my husband was disabled, he died this april My money now is much less than before I've been hit with paying Higher rent because my housing benefit has been cut I now have a council tax bill plus on top of that a bedroom tax bill. all because my son works. He is on minimum wage and when they reviewed his pay his pay they did not take into account that he pays £200. a month to get to work. I was married for 34 years trying to get through each day is hell but having all this worry (they didnt even sort out my widows allowance for 13 wks) bill after bill coming in you don't owe us money, revised you are now in arrears I feel like I@m being pushed over the edge. This is my home, my families home, we like the area my neighbours have been very supportive we care about each other, look after each other, I know this is a council house but this bedrom tax just destroys homes, families and communities

Posted by Tax Payer I Thu 24th Jul 2014 at 7:54am