Breaking NewsPumpkin tributes light the way for brothers

TV ad break cuts Barnsley Tour moment

By stephanie daley, Assistant Editor Thursday 10th July 2014
Pd44188-12 Tour de France

THOUSANDS of spectators turned out to welcome the Tour de France to Barnsley - but some who watched on TV were left disappointed.

ITV's live coverage of Sunday's race on Sunday cut to an advert break just as the riders hit Barnsley.

Penistone and Stocksbridge MP Angela Smith said: "Given the work that went into preparing for the Tour de France by the people of Barnsley, it was disappointing that ITV chose to almost airbrush the town out of the television coverage on the day."

Barnsley Central MP Dan Jarvis added: "This was a missed opportunity to showcase Barnsley at its best."

Posted by LB I Thu 10th Jul 2014 at 4:23pm

I was watching on Eurosport and managed to catch the tour as it went through the borough. Got a good view of some land art,and the crowds, and my friends over the channel mentioned having seen Barnsley on their TV coverage in France, so I wouldn't say the opportunity was entirely lost.

Posted by X I Thu 10th Jul 2014 at 4:57pm

Everybody told the council it was a waste of time and money but as always they don't know ****

Posted by Laura I Thu 10th Jul 2014 at 5:01pm

I don't think it much helped either that whilst passing Langsett the commentators said it was Lady Bower. .. and then proceeded on a beautiful history lesson about Lady Bower too which was such a waste considering we were on the wrong side of the Strines still! Oh and the lovely shot of a pond shortly after with claims that was Langsett and the supply of our drinking water. What a b*lls up!

Posted by Pod I Thu 10th Jul 2014 at 5:39pm

I'm on holiday in Spain and I watched on Eurosport too and the coverage was good. Even the German commentators got the information about Barnsley and Langsett right.

Posted by Karen I Thu 10th Jul 2014 at 9:23pm

We watched from Canada and it made us proud to see the fantastic countryside. We saw the Welcome to Barnsley sign no problem.

Posted by Mal King I Fri 11th Jul 2014 at 12:02pm

what a great weekend, not only for Barnsley but Yorkshire in general.

Posted by Ian I Tue 15th Jul 2014 at 12:18am

I think our MPs are hanging on to the bandwagon by their fingernails, as the race came nowhere near Barnsley, but I do agree it was a mess. Perhaps that's why we pay the BBC so much - I'm sure they'd have actually done some research beforehand, as well as ensuring that key moments did make it on to the screen. The ITV coverage was abysmal.

Posted by Graham Nicholson I Thu 17th Jul 2014 at 11:05pm

Stupid ITV get them fined for missing part of Barnsley i was watchng bloody ads i was wait for moment to see Barnsley on tv didnt show want answers