Breaking NewsFamily has 30p left to pay day

Supermarket scraps trolley locks

By stephanie daley, Assistant Editor Friday 4th July 2014

SHOPPERS at a Barnsley supermarket won't have to search their purses for a pound coin any more after bosses decided to scrap their trolley locks.

Morrisons will remove all trolley locks at its Lower Thomas Street store in response to Barnsley's customer feedback, which has called for quicker and easier shopping trips.

This will remove the need to insert a £1 coin or token to release a trolley from its bay.

David Schofield, Store General Manager for Morrisons Barnsley said: "Our nation is getting busier and we have less free time than previous generations.

"Customers in Barnsley have told us that they want a quicker shop. The removal of trolley locks is just one of the many improvements we are making to our store – to make for a faster and easier shopping trip."

Posted by Julie I Fri 4th Jul 2014 at 12:37pm

Not a good idea because people will leave their trolleys scattered about the car park . Some are too lazy to return them.not a great move morrisons!!

Posted by sue I Fri 4th Jul 2014 at 1:21pm

Back to how it used to be and alot better will all morrisons be doing this

Posted by debdaz71 I Fri 4th Jul 2014 at 2:30pm

Think you might find that kids are gonna be nicking them now

Posted by chrissie I Fri 4th Jul 2014 at 4:18pm

bad idea, people will abandon trolleys,shoppers will expect to have more dents

Posted by Ian I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 8:20am

Not a great idea. I hope the manager's checked first with Head Office and got his budget adjusted to cover replacement losses and the reduced sales targets, as shoppers vote with their cars. Isn't competition stiff enough?

Isn't this just typical of 21st Century Britain, though? At the first sign of something being difficult or inconvenient, give in, instead of explaining why it's important.

Posted by Mark I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 5:08pm

They will be found discarded in parks, along Princess St, Aggy Rd and in the river dearne. You need them tall bars that Tesco have on theirs. Have a good day

Posted by X I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 5:08pm

Asda did this years ago so why the fuss

Posted by Jeff Greasley I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 5:09pm

Oh bloody great.Tescos do that !!! People leave them everywhere.Had one blown into my car at Stairfoot and same at Cleethorpes Tesco. Bad idea ,because people are too idle to move their trollies and dump them everywhere.

Posted by Graham Nicholson I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 5:20pm

they will have trolley locks on make sure trolleys dont get far

Posted by E. Auckland I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 10:39pm

Cortonwood has removed all theirs as well , must be all or most stores x

Posted by Tracey I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 11:46pm

Its not a very good idea trolleys become a pain for residents who live near to Super Markets. I live near a Super Market that doesn't have £1 slots and they are simply umped everywhere. In the stream in the middle of the road all over the pavement. Then kids play in them which is great fun until someone gets hurt when they push them down hills with kids still in them.

Posted by Shopper I Mon 7th Jul 2014 at 10:34am

If you want to speed up the shopping experience, I suggest you get more checkout operators. Morrison's has the slowest checkouts in the Barnsley area!

Another thing you could do is change out the parking ticket machines ...they take ages to print a simple ticket!

Posted by sally I Fri 11th Jul 2014 at 10:57pm

if thats the case i will not shop there again, i am not having my car damaged with trollies. no no.

Posted by Shopper I Sat 12th Jul 2014 at 1:45pm

@Sally - good point. trolleys blowing in the wind and rolling down hill into cars ain't something to look forward to. Bad move Morrisons I'm afraid.

Best thing to speed up the process of shopping is to stop messing about with parking charges and then the silly £1 credit voucher in the store. Just make the damn parking free like at LIDL / Quality Save. The Traffic Wardens are always sniffing around looking to catch people that over stay anyway so why can't they just take note of the cars that are parked or even spend a few quid to put CCTV at the entry exit point. Get rid of the cost of maintaining the very unreliable parking ticket machines and eliminate the queues of people trying to get a ticket from the few that are working! Easy Peasy for anyone with just a little common sense!