Secondary school announces shock redundancies

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Friday 27th June 2014
Horizon
The Cannon Hall Run

A BARNSLEY secondary school is making up to 40 people redundant, including up to 18 teachers, in an effort to save about £1.8million a year.

Eight teachers and four non-teaching staff have taken voluntary redundancy at Horizon Community College, which opened when Kingstone and Holgate merged in 2012.

But there will also be compulsory redundancies for 18 non-teaching staff, and a yet-undecided number of teachers - potentially up to another ten.

Principal Nick Bowen told the Chronicle it was due to a 'demographic trend' of smaller year groups coming through the school, which has reduced pupil numbers.

** The full story is in the Barnsley Chronicle newspaper, dated June 27. **

Posted by trish I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 11:02am

Well thats gunna be great for the standards and the pupils! NOT!!

Posted by Jonathan Marshall I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 11:14am

I attended Holgate in the late 70's until the early 80's.... And you call this Progress, This is what you all get by voting Labour.

Posted by Crazy one I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 12:48pm

My child is starting here in September. Does that mean the supposedly high standard of teaching is going to be affected? In two minds now what to do

Posted by James I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 5:34pm

Jonathan - like the way you blame Labour for this!! We are living with a dreaful Coalition government - nothing to do with Labour AT ALL. Blame them for the privatisation of children's education.

Feel deeply sorry for the staff here - they are the real victims made to look bad by the press but who do such a hard job.

Posted by Incredulous I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 5:35pm

Jonathan wake up and smell the coffee ..have you been living on a different planet... we have a TORY government that want us to return to pre victorian days, and us workung class to be serfs...unbelievable statement

Posted by Lou I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 5:48pm

Can't wait for my child to leave this school!

Posted by Kevin Brown I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 8:41pm

Jonathan Marshall might like to know that it is a Tory/Lib Dem coalition in power. This is typical of education planners - spend millions on building monster schools then find there is not enough cash to run them. Stupid, corrupt political system.

Posted by John I Sat 28th Jun 2014 at 12:28am

Just to point out the combination of schools was brought in by the last Government. It was another example of overspend by the Labour party. We are living in the ashes of the last Labour Bonfire. About time some people realised no matter who came to power they had no money to spend.

Posted by Carlos I Sat 28th Jun 2014 at 8:07am

The local authority works out demographics 11 years previous (that's when the babies are born). What's actually happened is that a significant group of parents are choosing kettlethorpe. This started when darton went into special measures about five years ago. On top of that penistone continues to draw from dodworth's aspirational set. Darton has recovered squeezing horizon's catchment. The Baugh green and redbrook group increasingly don't head for the horizons. And Barnsley academy is drawing better from its traditional catchment. The local authority never wanted horizon to be that big and this has not come as a surprise.

Posted by darren I Sat 28th Jun 2014 at 8:42am

must be the new thing then 20 gone from Barnsley academy

Posted by Richard I Sat 28th Jun 2014 at 12:16pm

Principal Bowen blames falling school cohorts and sacrifices the staff when in reality he should accept full responsibility for poor strategic planning and inept financial management. Cohort sizes are essentially predictable. Another example of failed 'leadership' on a fat salary and students' learning opportunities damaged as a consequence?

Posted by Fred I Sun 29th Jun 2014 at 8:20am

Egg on face for Incredulous and James. Take your red blinkers off, I know it hurts that your beloved Labour Government is to blame. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Posted by dick dastardly I Sun 29th Jun 2014 at 11:01am

super schools,,lol, we already new they would be too big with two many students in 1 class, they haven't got enough half decent teachers working there to start with, now there giving 40 redundancies out, its probly all the decent 1ns thatl be leaving an the 1ns that don't like kids an dont give a toss thats stays,

Posted by Dave Lee Travis I Mon 30th Jun 2014 at 10:26pm

Poor management. Demographics cannot be an excuse otherwise other schools would be making staff redundant.

Posted by Rolferoo I Mon 30th Jun 2014 at 10:30pm

When a school over spends to this extent then the changes should start with the senior leadership team and the finance team who let this happen.

Posted by Noel Edmunds I Mon 30th Jun 2014 at 10:39pm
Posted by CMOGreen I Mon 30th Jun 2014 at 11:14pm

It'll make a good office block one day.

Posted by Yourstruly I Tue 1st Jul 2014 at 12:37am

It comes as no surprise that an academy like horizon are having to now back track and make cuts. Logically thinking in their first year they had to proove themselves, but rather than concentrate on educational standards and devleoping a good base rate they aimed for the top, and the reality is no organisation can sustain that kind of growth with limited funds. The writing was on the wall all the way along! They need to seriously think about the direction they take the school in and cutting out waste to ensure that what remains is an exceptional level of teaching first and foremost. They also need to concentrate on their reputation..... It looks less than great when a school puts itself out there spending on full spread marketing supplements for local newspapers one minute and then having to lay off teachers the next. I know several parents who have pulled their children from the school, and my concern is that more and more will try to get their kids in else where and that horizon will become the second choice.

Posted by SIR STEVE I Thu 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:57pm
Posted by Rachel I Fri 4th Jul 2014 at 12:38am

I knew that they only wanted to make money, Theatre open to people, the gym open to people, Its more like a business then a school. And I went there.

Posted by Sir Steve I Sun 6th Jul 2014 at 10:36pm

When will they take ownership of the situation. This is all their own doing. They concentrate on the wrong things. My child says that the best teachers have gone and that those who remain either seem unhappy or are Stepford Wives.

Posted by Harry I Sat 12th Jul 2014 at 8:56am

Schools within a school. Five headteachers, five deputies. A Principle and five vice principles. That’s a lot of leaders, on a lot of pay !