Images of new college building released

By gail robinson, Town Reporter Thursday 26th June 2014
The new Barnsley College sixth form centre
Images (1)

THE first images that reveal what the new £12m Barnsley College sixth form centre will look like have been released by developers.

Work is already underway and should be completed by September 2015. Demolition work has already begun on the the library and shops on Shambles Street.

Leeds-based BAM Construction will build the sixth form centre - as well as a £9m construction centre on the college's Honeywell campus.

** The full story appears in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated June 27. **

Posted by Paul I Thu 26th Jun 2014 at 11:37pm

Who designed this building...Stevie Wonder?

Posted by JBBlackett I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 2:36pm

It's more likely to be Clarke's Shoes or the Metal Box Company

Posted by Wendy I Fri 27th Jun 2014 at 2:50pm

Should've gone to Specsavers! What a monstrosity. Do they think anything will do for Barnsley, for this country?

Posted by Richard I Sat 28th Jun 2014 at 12:07pm

Another Barnsley College eyesore to further vandalise the town centre environment

Posted by Michael K I Sat 28th Jun 2014 at 6:05pm

I like it, it's in keeping, adds character to the area and to be honest, compared to what's there now, I genuinely don't know how people can moan!

Posted by Laura I Sun 29th Jun 2014 at 7:24am

I'm sad to see negative comments on this... I work across from this and try working n looking at a ****** run down building with smashed windows?!!!! U all moan but if u had to look at it everyday u would think like me! I think this development will bring more people up to that area hence more business for the shops that are there. It can't look any worse than it does now.. Stop moaning people embrace change!

Posted by Bill I Tue 1st Jul 2014 at 5:37pm

Sadly a missed opportunity to give Barnsley a decent piece of architecture instead of the usual identikit box. I suppose we only have 40 years to wait before it too will be torn down.

Posted by flutterz I Sat 26th Jul 2014 at 12:26pm

Any building that is going to be placed next to the town hall should be in keeping with the magnificent town hall building, not to have something that's been designed like this should not be built right next door!