Hospital nets thousands on parking fees

By Lynsey Bradford, Town Reporter Friday 20th June 2014
Barnsley Hospital
The Cannon Hall Run

BARNSLEY Hospital collected almost £900,000 in parking fees last year, a freedom of information request has revealed.

It was submitted by Eamonn Patterson, who asked for figures dating back to 2011.

It revealed the amount gained by the hospital has grown steadily since then, rising from £807,804 that year to £890,067 in 2013.
So far this year, the hospital has collected £345,408.

The totals include money for staff parking permits.

A spokesman for Barnsley Hospital said revenues from car parking had increased between 2011 and 2014, but this was due to more people using the car parks rather than an increase in fees.

He said prices were only raised once in November, the first rise in five years.

"The money we raise from the car parks is used to cover our running costs. Our revenues from parking are therefore essential to ensure that money is not diverted away from patient care."

** The full story appears in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated June 20. **

Posted by Steve I Fri 20th Jun 2014 at 12:55pm

£890,067 to cover the running cost of your car parks ? I would like to see a break down of those figures,....sorry i forgot this a Barnsley Foundation Trust Hospital spokesperson and as we know they are £12.7 million overspent so they are not very good with running costs\income etc...By the way Rotherham Hospital has free parking,but them it has fewer Board Members and its books are balanced

Posted by George I Fri 20th Jun 2014 at 6:00pm

Rotherham charges for pakring and it costs more than Barnsly hospital

Posted by HARRY I Sat 21st Jun 2014 at 11:17am

Free parking for blue badge holders is available at rotherham not at barnsley

Posted by June I Sat 21st Jun 2014 at 6:44pm

It's a disgrace in Scotland it's free yet Barnsley charge even for disabled parking

Posted by Fed up I Sat 21st Jun 2014 at 7:00pm

Why shouldn't disabled pay for parking?

Posted by happy parker I Sat 21st Jun 2014 at 7:21pm

All money goes back into hospital anyway so i dont know why your all moaning. Youd be moaning even more if it shut down. Whats a couple of pounds to park up you should look at bigger picture instead of having a go

Posted by Ian I Mon 23rd Jun 2014 at 12:27pm

This equates to less than £4 per parking space, per day.

Hardly seems sensational now does it?

Posted by Parker I Wed 25th Jun 2014 at 8:48am

A couple of pound to park at BDGHospital you must be joking! I have recently had to attend every week for appointments each lasting over 2 hours and have so far spent £25! It's ridiculous. And when my Dad was in hospital a few years ago I paid £15 a week for a weekly pass.whilst a praise the hospital for providing the new car park at the back why on earth haven't they used the area where the mental Health unit was knocked down for extra disabled parking at the front of the hospital?

Posted by debdaz71 I Thu 26th Jun 2014 at 8:52pm

All this money they are making and you cant even get a cup of coffee after 8pm. We have spent hours in A

Posted by Fair enough I Thu 3rd Jul 2014 at 8:23pm

I think charges are fair at Barnsley. I like the system of getting a ticket when you enter. At the hospital I use now you have to pay in advance so you don't always know how much to put on because you're not sure how long you'll be. Also the cheapest you can purchase a ticket for is £3 for upto 2 hours.