80 jobs at risk after college announcement

By Katia Harston, Chief Reporter Thursday 12th June 2014
Barnsley College 2014

UP TO 80 jobs at Barnsley College are at risk as part of a major restructure - with affected staff being given just days to decide on their future.

The proposals involving teaching and administration staff across 11 departments were only announced on Monday, with those affected being given until noon Friday to decide whether to apply for voluntary severance.

The restructure is expected to save the college about £600,000 but will have a significant impact on staff because of redundancies and downgrading, a union official has warned.

** The full report appears in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated June 13. **

Posted by BC staff member I Thu 12th Jun 2014 at 8:06pm

It's all very sad - the end of an era for many loyal, long serving staff who have been backed into a corner, with no alternative but to take voluntary severance or have a breakdown with the extra work imposed!

Posted by sd I Thu 12th Jun 2014 at 8:07pm

Nice new building, but can't afford to staff it properly?

Let's have a wild guess about what will happen when the new Sixth Form is built on the site of Barnsley Library on Shambles Street...

Posted by ex employee I Thu 12th Jun 2014 at 10:26pm

When is the cut going to come from the top? Fewer jobs to go for bigger savings. Where do they get all their money from to fund all the building changes/ purchases? Sounds like there's lots of foi questions to be asked.

Posted by BC Student I Thu 12th Jun 2014 at 11:57pm
Posted by Staff member I Fri 13th Jun 2014 at 3:39pm

What do you mean 100K at a union meeting last week they revealled this years salary, it was 117K plus a 25 thousand pound pay rise. Not bad 142K for what, young people in Barnsley will have no education at all because all that is left are managers and support workers who are being left to teach. When Booth keeps saying he got Grade 1 outstanding well it was the teachers who have now been served notice that got the Grade 1. People in Barnsley need to get behind the teachers and send him packing back to Geordie land,

Posted by student I Fri 13th Jun 2014 at 3:45pm

lets get behind the teahers take it from me i know how hard they work. They look after us students nothing is ever too much trouble for them, i can go to my teacher any time and she helps me even if it means her having to stay late to do the work she was doing when i needed her help

Posted by STAFF MEMBER I Fri 13th Jun 2014 at 8:57pm

This College is going to the dogs. Staff are sick and tired of the way this moron is running the College. We are over worked and underpaid. When redundancies were announced last year Colin Booth thought it fit to give himself a pay rise. We love our jobs and the students that we teach, but this is the last straw. How much more can we take? We are backed up against a wall every day and there is so much red tape that is wrapped around us constantly. Does he see what we do on a day to day basis? No. He never comes to the 'Shop Floor', he just sits in his air conditioned office whilst the staff are so upset and unmotivated, and in some cases in tears. Come on, realise what you are doing to us.....

Posted by JBBlackett I Fri 13th Jun 2014 at 10:16pm

Perhaps the college re-locate to Shambles Street as that place / name would be more befitting to the management and upper echelons at the college.

Posted by Ex Employee I Fri 13th Jun 2014 at 10:55pm

The college is nothing more than a white elephant sucking money from its most important asset the STAFF!! I should know as I am one of a number of professionally qualified staff who have been part of Barnsley College’s aptly named ‘re-structure’ . This as we all know is basically a cost cutting exercise!!! The college is run like a business not an educational institute. It’s simple business plan penned together by the unaccountable hierarchy at the college. Get rid of the high paid qualified staff and replace them with low paid unqualified staff thus saving the college thousands. This in turn enables the college to build more facilities (which we don’t really need ) The business projection is simple have re structures every 2 years and save money !!!

The person who need to reduce his pay packet is Mr Booth . One of the highest paid college principles in the country…

Posted by anon I Sat 14th Jun 2014 at 8:51am

This restructure is disgusting. Maybe someone should look into the new deputy principals role! Got the job without any formal interview and paid £100k pa! How many trips has he made to china in past 12 months at a cost to college.

Posted by university student I Sat 14th Jun 2014 at 7:20pm

The University Campus is also going downhill. I am about to go into my final year at UCB, the first year was fantastic hardly an issues and problems were sorted quickly, this past year where college has taken over has been horrendous. We have had several meetings with college staff to try and sort issues but it has been made quite clear that we no longer count. As a University student I pay for my course and the quality for money has definitely dropped. I wouldn't recommend the University to anyone at the moment unless they are desperate and I think many other students feel the same. College need to re-think their priorities and start looking after their students in all the campuses.

Posted by Anon I Sat 14th Jun 2014 at 7:26pm
Posted by BC STAFF I Sat 14th Jun 2014 at 8:41pm

Are you kidding me? Not all staff are rude. How are you say staff are collecting money for nothing?! Are you aware of the kind of students some staff actually have to teach? Trust me if new staff are brought in it won't be the same quality. Not all departments are rude and unapproachable...

Posted by Anon I Sat 14th Jun 2014 at 9:55pm
Posted by BC STAFF I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 12:14am

Yes, because all departments are the same.....You can't generalise all staff! You have no idea what is going on. No idea at all. What BC needs is people actually backing the hard working and hard suffering staff, not people like you who seem to be saying all departments are the same. Shame on you.

Posted by BC I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 12:18am

How can you say the staff at Barnsley College are rude, its the staff that made Barnsley College outstanding not Colin Booth, staff are stressed, over worked and underpaid going without lunch breaks and working past there normal hours that's what the kind of staff we have at Barnsley College!!

Posted by Worried Parent I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 12:23pm

I find it interesting the only people backing the college is the Staff, shame on them, they are only interested in their jobs and getting paid. Like the other parent who has comment, my son is there and finding the same rude Members of staff and them not being interest and it is ALL departments. A clear out of staff IS needed and start again. The Person is Charge is only as good as the people who are below and they are very poor.

Posted by Worried Mum I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 12:41pm

I cannot believe these staff member who think they are the colleges biggest assets. The college biggest asset are the student and these are being let down by the staff big time. I had 3 children go there in September, they have all quit, due to the staff not being interested in them. The lesson at best were poor, if you complained the staff did not care and so they have transferred to other colleges and are coming on in leaps and bounds. Like the other parents have said the problem lie fair and square with the staff. Either clear the staff out or close the college.

Posted by gemma johnson I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 3:32pm

the teachers at college are really good I wouldn't want to change anting about them they do a fantastic job teaching all the students

Posted by BC Student I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 6:49pm

As some people are saying only the staff are backing the college;

I'm a student at the college, and in my third year. Yeah, SOME of the staff don't care, but you can't tar all with the same brush, I've never felt like I've got as much help on a course as the H

Posted by BC MEMBER I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 8:28pm

Wow. Have you not noticed that the staff are NOT backing the College. We are NOT defending the College, we are defending people who seem to think ALL departments are the same. How can you possibly say ALL departments are the same? Are you aware how many departments and teachers there actually are? You simply cannot tar all the departments and the teachers with the same brush. I go above and beyond for my students (like any teacher should do). I don't really know why you have decided to launch a hate campaign against ALL the teachers in the College. Ridiculous!!

Posted by BC MEMBER I Sun 15th Jun 2014 at 8:29pm

* Should read: Defending ourselves against people...

Posted by anon I Mon 16th Jun 2014 at 12:06pm

Maybe the "hate campaign" as you call it, is because parent are sick of bad education in Barnsley and teachers only interested in themself. Even the BC Student, who tried to defend the teachers failed , as the last line says 1 or 2 teacher are useless, come on there are more then that. Parent want change, lets have it and clean out the rubbish.

Posted by BCE I Mon 16th Jun 2014 at 6:42pm

As an employee of the college, I'm shocked by some correspondents' attitudes. I can say that teachers in the further education sector are underpaid, overworked and demoralised by comments such as some of those made earlier in this thread. The people who have complained about the quality of teaching should ask themselves, objectively, whether or not their children are the model pupils they think they are. I dare say that if they saw some of the behaviour we have to manage, they would change their opinions.

It's also worth noting that at one time in Barnsley, any mention of job losses would cause uproar and a jump to the workers' defence - remember the miners' stirke, anyone? Who's job will it be next? It could be yours...

Finally, I tend to agree with the views expressed by some contributors. Management are greedy, inept and not deserving of the loyalty and hard work demonstrated by their workforce. They should be ashamed that they have handled this matter so unprofessionally.

Posted by BC Staff I Tue 17th Jun 2014 at 6:48pm

In reply to the people berating teaching staff at Barnsley College-MOST teachers care deeply about the students, and work hard to ensure that they acheive their full potential! Unlike the axe wielding, blood sucking vampires, who sit in their Ivory Towers at Old Mill Lane Site and masquerade as the Senior Management Team! They return to their home Towns at weekends and play with their expensive cars, bought with the extortionate wage rises they award themselves! Shame on them, they are inhuman and cold blooded maggots, feeding off the carcases of the people they have slaughtered! Yes Mr Booth, you are the biggest maggot of all.

Posted by Anon I Thu 19th Jun 2014 at 8:06pm

Perhaps people looking to blame the staff at the college or the management, should look at the huge funding cuts FE has faced over the last three years with more in sight. This government has protected the schools budget but this just means that FE has had to endure horrendous funding cuts, when most of the time is spent trying to repair the damage done by schools. All colleges are the same at the moment and unfortunately it's austerity to blame not the staff or even the college.

Posted by Sheff I Fri 20th Jun 2014 at 3:22pm

I don't work at this college but at another one near by . PARENTS please listen to me. If the staff go they will be replaced by untrained teachers who are willing to accept lower pay who don't have the qualifications, experience and care the teachers who are there. Technical trainers are taking over as they are cheaper. I have teenagers who will be going into FE soon and it scares me to death to think who will be teaching them. Maybe the teachers at BC are rude and grumpy as they feel overwhelmed, stressed, unappreciated and are worried about the forthcoming changes. Believe me you have NO idea what goes in in colleges and the red tape that has to be adhered to and constant cuts. It's the government you should be annoyed with not the staff who are probably doing the best they can in the circumstances ! Stick by them not against them !

Posted by BC staff I Mon 23rd Jun 2014 at 6:10pm

Absolutely disgusted at how College has advertised the jobs in the Chronicle BEFORE they have let staff know if their Voluntary Severance applications have been accepted. What a kick in the teeth; but why am I not surprised? Management has turned into a set of robots with absolutely no empathy for it's long serving and (up till now) loyal staff. Do they not care that some staff involved have worked here half their lives? Shame on you!

Posted by Welconxx I Tue 1st Jul 2014 at 1:16am

I think anon it is all to easy to lay blame on the government and bypass the college altogether. Yes there are cuts to funding for fe and yes that will have an impact at the college. However the level of impact on teaching is where concern will lie, and that decision comes from the oversubscribed and ever expanding management team that sits within the college. Someone has to realise that barnsley college is not a city college, it doesnt have a vast populus as its catchment area and numbers of students wanting to go to the college are dropping. However it still acts like a city college and in fact has a management team bigger than a lot of the larger student number colleges. How is that justified? You get less funding because you are a smaller college, yet you pay for a much larger management team? Have senior salaries been frozen? Did the management team take a rise this year amidst the cuts? Yes its lovely to have a huge management team... Not if you cant afford it though eh? Ultimately young people are willing to travel further, and i should know i work with them.... Places like wakefield college, sheffield college, dearne valley college, rcat, askham bryan....... Ok they may not be the best colleges in the land, but people buy into them. Less and less people are buying inti Barnsley College the brand and more and more are seeing it as top heavy, over spenders, monopolisers and bullies. Annoyingly there is an air of arrogance around the fact they they are the main provider of fe in the borough, and as such there will be the perception that th will continualy get new students because where else would they go?