Breaking NewsPumpkin tributes light the way for brothers

Disabled man has travel pass confiscated

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Thursday 5th June 2014
Allan Pond

A DISABLED man has had his travel pass which gave him free bus travel confiscated for trying to use it on a train.

Allan Pond, 60, of Saville Road, Gilroyd, was coming back to Barnsley from Meadowhall on the train on Sunday evening.

He says he thought he could use it on the train again following a change in the travel pass concessions. But the changes don't take effect until June 8 so the conductor confiscated the pass - seemingly on a permanent basis.

Allan said: "I hold my hand up, I got it wrong. The free travel doesn't come back in yet, and I thought it was with immediate effect. I didn't have any money on me but offered to give my details and pay what I owed, fair and square, but the conductor took it off me and wouldn't give it back.

"As it stands, the pass is no good on the train, but I can still use it on the bus, so they are denying me my bus travel."

A spokeswoman for Northern Rail said: "Anyone attempting to use an invalid pass is at risk of having the pass permanently withdrawn."

Posted by su I Sat 7th Jun 2014 at 12:10pm
Posted by gilroyd-one I Sat 7th Jun 2014 at 12:23pm
Posted by William bow I Sat 7th Jun 2014 at 12:38pm
Posted by Confused of Barnsley I Mon 9th Jun 2014 at 11:31am

The police cannot confiscate your driving licence if they believe it is being wrongly used yet a private train company employee has the right to take a pass issued by someone else? The world has gone mad!!!

Posted by Neil I Mon 9th Jun 2014 at 4:04pm

A employee of a private company does not have the power to confiscate a pass unless it was issued by that company. As this was not the employee has overstepped his authority. He should report the matter to the police. As they have effectively stolen his pass.

Posted by Josie I Fri 13th Jun 2014 at 8:24am

We disabled people have a hard enough time as it is. Being elderly is a double whammy. The pass usage should not have been changed in the first place. Shame on the person who decided this. Leave us pensioners and disabled alone and let us get on with the rest of our lives in peace. Doing our own shopping saves a fortune on social services having to do it for us. And for some of us it is the only way we can get out and have a bit of exercise and meet other people.