Mobility scooter safety concerns

By ashley ball, Wombwell/Dearne Reporter Tuesday 3rd June 2014

A WOMBWELL councillor concerned with the safety of mobility scooter users is urging people to attend a meeting that will be held on Thursday.

The community engagement event is being held at St Mary's Community Centre on Church Street on Thursday between 11.30am and 3.30pm.

Coun Margaret Morgan, believes that mobility scooter safety is a much bigger issue than many people may think.

She recalls several incidents in Wombwell where there have been collisions and says the issue is regularly brought up at crime and safety meetings.

"We really want there to be more awareness when it comes to safety on mobility scooters," said Coun Morgan.
"There have been incidents on the High Street and also the main roads around Wombwell.

"I don't know how many people use them in Wombwell but people come from Darfield, Hoyland and Brampton into Wombwell so it's a big area that takes in a lot of people.

"We need to make pedestrians aware too. It's everybody's safety that we are interested in improving."

There will be a video shown and both the police and members of the local crime and safety group will be in attendance.

Posted by Elizabeth Auckland I Tue 3rd Jun 2014 at 6:54pm

Half of the uses don't really need them, they think they rule the pavement and those who go on the road don't have any road sence .

Posted by The Hatter I Tue 3rd Jun 2014 at 7:20pm

Think it's pedestrians that need more awareness of scooters And wheelchairs some people have no consideration for scooter and wheelchair users. It's nutty kids on bikes that fly through the high street payments and ignorant people that should be tackled. Discrimination of disabled is an offence and easy targets I would say!

Elizabeth !!!! Tut @ you how do you know when people need them or not? Have you ever needed one? If not lucky you!

Posted by Samantha I Wed 4th Jun 2014 at 12:43pm

I am guessing I am one of those people who don't need one because I can walk small distances? Just to show you don't know everyone's circumstances, I have a rare spinal cord condition which paralysed me for the best part of a year , I have had to learn to walk again but I have muscle wastage and nerve damage but you would look at me like I was fine and didn't need it..... It's not always black and white! And sometimes we have no choice but to go on the road due to lack of drop kerbs or when people park over them!

Posted by The Hatter I Thu 5th Jun 2014 at 8:05am

Samantha small distances is not enough if you need to get to shops x therefore if you can you need one. How dare anyone suggest someone doesn't ? Who are they and what do they know?

Kids and ignorant people cause more accidents x

The councillor might consider looking at the real crime in this area. It's like zombie nation most days with all the drug users and drinkers roaming around looking for their next way to score!

Posted by Elizabeth Auckland I Thu 5th Jun 2014 at 12:22pm

I was not been offensive or disrespectful to anyone who needs a mobility scooter , but I genually think a few do not really need them , I am sure some people agree x x

Posted by Amanda I Fri 6th Jun 2014 at 7:46am

I disagree about it being a pedestrian responsibility too. Pavements are for pedestrians, if scooter users were absolutely clear about the fact that pedestrians always have right of way there wouldn't be half as many accidents.

Posted by Dan I Mon 9th Jun 2014 at 10:37pm

Yes some of them don't really need them and when they do they seem to change character once someone nearly nocked my wife down in a PEDESTRIAN PRECINCT and said it was her fault and got of his scooter to challenge me. No he did not need his