Shops row with council over stock placement

By ashley ball, Wombwell/Dearne Reporter Tuesday 3rd June 2014
Nigel Scott, Thurnscoe trader

TRADERS in Thurnscoe say their businesses will be hit hard after being told they cannot place stock in front of their shops.

Several shops on Houghton Road received letters this week informing them they will have to clear a pathway after the pavement was resurfaced - so that pedestrians can use it safely.

Nigel Scott, 47, owns both DJ's Food and the Corner Café on Houghton Road, and says having goods such as plants outside attracts customers into the shop and says there is plenty of room for people to get past even with the stock outside.

He said: "We had no idea that this was coming. The footpath is very wide and it's been like this for years. We need to have stock outside to keep running.

"It's a major concern for us and it will cost us a fortune in lost takings which we didn't need."

The deputy manager of Lloyds Stores Linda Wilcox, 52, added: "It's been like this for the 40 years that this business has been here and nobody has ever said anything before.

"We are trying to make a living and nobody down here is making a fortune.

"There is room to get by for everyone, including mobility scooter users. It's just unnecessary hassle for us."

A spokesman for Barnsley Council say they have received a number of complaints about the limited access on Houghton Road, but would like to invite shop owners with concerns to contact them with their issues by calling the number stated on the letter.

Posted by Mandy I Tue 3rd Jun 2014 at 4:09pm

It's nice to walk past n av a nosey at Wots outside,,,

The council should never av taken thurnscoe market away,,,thurnscoe's got nothing,

Posted by Carol I Tue 3rd Jun 2014 at 6:13pm

I love the outdoor displays. plenty of room for all.

Posted by Local lad I Tue 3rd Jun 2014 at 6:54pm

They should build another market stall like goldthorpe to attract traders around the local areas.

Posted by Roy Johnson I Wed 4th Jun 2014 at 7:32am

It's the only small area of shopping left in this village and of this area is taken away from the owners, I fear it will put them out of business. It's shocking that such a large village as this has had it's shopping area systematically stripped away. Every bit of free space that comes available has houses built on it, so the population rises but shopping facilities diminish.

Posted by VickyMckenning I Wed 4th Jun 2014 at 5:18pm

I've lived in thurnscoe a long long time and never heard anyone complain,I think it's nice to see the outside displays.

Posted by jack I Thu 5th Jun 2014 at 8:55pm

Council ought to leave them alone theres plenty of room to get past and from what ive seen they cant do enough to help anyone on scooters fetching and carrying for them council should worry more about things like getting bins emptied on time not five days late just something else for them to take away wonder if goldthorpe shops have been told same?