In Today’s ChronicleYoungster enjoying dad's junior fencing club In Today’s ChronicleCharity fun day to raise money for children's hospice

Highway to Hell taunt from rock band to church

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Tuesday 20th May 2014

POLICE were called when a rock band asked by a vicar to 'turn it down' because they were disturbing a church service responded by belting out blasphemous rock classic Highway to Hell.

The bishop of Sheffield Steven Croft was addressing the congregation of more than 100 at Wombwell St Mary's last Sunday evening when band Coyote began performing across the road outside the Alma.

Rev Martjn Mugge said: "We couldn't hear very much of the service, so I went and asked if they could turn it down. The music was good, but it was very loud.

"They said they'd stop in ten minutes, so we carried on with the service, but then they played Highway to Hell, which I took to be a bit of a dig.

"I didn't think that was very kind to me or the church, but I'm not one to make a fuss. I did think they could have played Stairway to Heaven instead."

Lead singer Stuart Brierley said: "The venue has a licence for indoor and outdoor live music. I told him we'd be done ten minutes and then stop for a break but he said can we have ten minutes a bit quieter. We're a live rock band. You can't do it quietly."

He said Highway to Hell was due to be played anyway, but he admitted moving it forward.

"It was a little bit of a dig, but only because he came up and interrupted me on stage, mid flow. I'm sure he wouldn't have liked it if I'd done that to him.

"People joke that we'll never get to heaven, I suppose that's it now."

Alma landlord Jimmy Hardy said he would work with the church to make sure live music did not clash with services in future.

The council was due to visit the pub to investigate the complaint on Thursday.

Posted by sd I Wed 21st May 2014 at 12:56pm

Perhaps the band could have gone across the road to suggest the congregation sing their hymns a little more quietly?

Posted by yellow I Wed 21st May 2014 at 3:28pm

Different story when there ringing bells first thing on a sunday morning.... works both ways

Posted by b thompson I Wed 21st May 2014 at 4:02pm

the rock bands play far too loud anyway

Posted by Tina heron I Wed 21st May 2014 at 5:40pm

The church do not have a god given right to infringe on the freedom of a public space. The minister should have had the decency to wait UNTILL the singer wan not on stage. I bet there were more at the pub than at the church!

Posted by Richard I Wed 21st May 2014 at 7:31pm

I was there and no police was called or attended and the band cut short it's first spot to accommodate the vicar, although the band advertisements had been up 2 weeks prior informing the public of the time and event , so why didn't the vicar have the sence to talk to the landlord before hand and come to some compromise

.......

Posted by joanne I Wed 21st May 2014 at 7:47pm

Ha ha ha read revs comment "im not one to make a fuss" mmm so why has it made the front page of local paper then reverend??? Nothing about the live band cutting short his set and taking over an hour break so that said vicar could finish his service in peace! Bit of spin here. The vicar actually interrupted the band on stage this gig had been advertised for weeks and as for police they drove past and waved ....that's how serious they took the complaint. We have since drove past said church and nowhere on its external boards was this service advertised just a 10am morning service.

Posted by biglass I Wed 21st May 2014 at 8:26pm

hells bells next then??????

Posted by BanditBird I Wed 21st May 2014 at 8:33pm

Actualy Coyote have raised coffers for many charities inc Air Ambulance

Posted by Kay Hardy I Wed 21st May 2014 at 8:41pm

The Vicar was out of order. Bad band COYOTE. Not in a million years. One quick call to Stuart and the band asking for help to raise money for Weston Park Cancer Hospital was all it took. A fabulous rock night raised £2200 I cant thank them enough. If there is a heaven there is a place for them.

Posted by Skiddy I Wed 21st May 2014 at 9:00pm

Think someones got it wrong COYOTE. Are god. They raise more money for charity than any other band i know and have more followers \m/

Posted by Julian Widdop I Wed 21st May 2014 at 10:05pm

What is all the fuss about? Blasphemous song is a bit strong, its just a song at the end of the day and to call it blasphemous purely because it has Hell in the title is misinformed and naive.

The church is opposite The Alma which is known for staging regular live music events shouldn't the vicar have checked with the management? The blame for the situation ( if blame is the right word) should shared equally between both parties.

At the very worst it was s failure to communicate. Jesus turned the other cheek, maybe someone should practice what they preach.

Posted by traci I Thu 22nd May 2014 at 2:32pm

omg, am sorry but this as really tickled me, propa made my day, lmao

Posted by Donna I Thu 22nd May 2014 at 4:25pm

Absolutely brilliant song! Love it well done and well handled. Its just uptight people getting their knickers in a twist. Good on ya

Posted by Srw I Fri 23rd May 2014 at 12:14pm

I was at the church service and a lot of us simply found it funny and just one of those things. The cgurch service was a Confirmation service and this is why the bishop was there. This service is a rare chance for new Christians to make their commitment to God. (this made the song highly ironic and funny).

In all seriousness though we were very grateful to the band and the pub and and their co operation was appreciated. A good example of how in this day and age people can still get along nicely. Thank you to the band.

We did not call the police, this must have been for another reason or done by someone else.

Posted by Morrissey's arm I Fri 23rd May 2014 at 2:47pm

Rock ‘n roll, eh? Whatever next - some trumped up no mark band getting a kick from upsetting the local vicar, and he wasn't even in his tutu!