Asylum seekers stay in top hotels

By Lynsey Bradford, Town Reporter Friday 16th May 2014

ASYLUM seekers have been staying at two of Barnsley's plushest hotels because of a shortage of space at a specialist hostel in West Yorkshire, the Chronicle can reveal.

Security company G4S booked a total of 400 rooms on half-board in the four-star Holiday Inn at Dodworth and the nearby Ramada Encore between mid-March and late-April.

The exact cost of the accommodation has not been disclosed.

G4S has the lucrative contract from the Home Office to provide accommodation for asylum seekers until their applications to stay in the UK are determined.

** Our reporters have the full story in the Barnsley Chronicle newspaper, dated May 16. **

Posted by chronreader I Fri 16th May 2014 at 8:59am

When did Paul Dacre start editing the Chronicle?

Posted by Percy Thrower I Fri 16th May 2014 at 9:50am

They also get £10 a day to buy thier lunch...This country is no longer Great Britain it's not even Britain...Tony war criminal Blairs to blame for letting this country get flooded by these scroungers !!!!

Posted by Laurie I Fri 16th May 2014 at 9:54am

i wud love to be able to have a break in a hotel and sum1 else pay for it cos ive never been on a day out anywhere nevermind have a nice night or whatever in a nice hotel!!! I bet they will be uproar in our town and i'll be part of it and be standing by all the way as its just not fair!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ian wellpissedoffwithcountry Ward I Fri 16th May 2014 at 9:59am

Why not put our old folk up in hotels to live instead

Posted by Richard I Fri 16th May 2014 at 10:12am

You'll probably find that G4S are the ones having to pay for the hotels. They have the contract, their accommodation is full so they are having to pay for the hotels. G4S will get a flat fee from the government regardless of if the asylum seekers are in the hostel or in a hotel. So the fact that they are in a hotel actually makes no difference to the cost to the government and therefore the taxpayer.

Posted by Steven Gregory I Fri 16th May 2014 at 10:21am

I told you about this 5 months ago but the chronicle never responded to what I would call quite alarming news. There was a proposed move by a company to purchase Ardsley house for the same reason. To be fair to the hotels it's easy money. The state benefit should only be paid out based on what you have contributed into it. Now people wonder why so many Brits have said we've had enough and left. Political correctness my backside. Charity starts at home. For gods sake even pudseybear has investments in arms and oil stakes but yet you keep giving. What ever happened to "STOP THE BUS".

Posted by mrs a cocks I Fri 16th May 2014 at 10:28am

This really makes my blood boil , all these asylem seekers are just here to take the brittish pound , send it back home to make there familys richer , while the brittish people get poorer , this goverment need to start thinking about there own first , before handing asylem seekers every thing for free , you dont see any of this happening in australia because they look after there own , so the brittish goverment need to take a step in there direction , a 10 year old could run this country better .

Posted by graham I Fri 16th May 2014 at 10:32am

its nothing new yrs ago they put em in belmont house at monkbretton after telling a local business man who wanted to re build the old folks home it wasnt habitable also put em in scoutdyke after closing it and rebuilt aldham house lane at wombwell for em knocking old flats down and building new after yrs of residents complaints falling on death ears

Posted by Karina I Fri 16th May 2014 at 11:42am

I should imagine G4S had to pay the shortfall for this. And, as for calling them some of the 'plushest' hotels I beg to differ and really I just see the story as a way of trying to stir hatred, which has obviously worked with some of the comments.

Posted by Muddled I Fri 16th May 2014 at 11:58am

Karina is exactly right. The Holiday Inn has never seen four stars; it's a run-of-the-mill hotel, along with Encore. Anybody would think this political positioning is because there is an election shortly. Oh, wait ...

Posted by me I Fri 16th May 2014 at 12:07pm

4star or not they don't pay for us to stay in hotel wen we no where to go

Posted by Muddled I Fri 16th May 2014 at 12:12pm

When do you have nowhere to go? This is not a holiday for the asylum seekers; they're having a roof put over their head and food in their stomach. They are in a foreign country as they (the majority) are too petrified to stay in their own homes, often leaving their friends and family behind to seek a better way of life. Question the ones who seek to take advantage of our benefits system, but don't tar them all with the same brush.

Posted by Muddled I Fri 16th May 2014 at 12:15pm

And if "four star" hotels have 400 spare rooms between them over the Easter period, then perhaps the bigger issue here is bringing the tourist pound to our great town.

Posted by craig I Fri 16th May 2014 at 3:27pm

They dont get any money when staying in a hotel. And its paid for by G4S not the tax payer

Posted by jo I Fri 16th May 2014 at 3:45pm

Well said Karina and Muddled. Some of the people making comments here should have a look at the City of Sanctuary movement to see lots of great examples of towns and cities around the UK that are trying to welcome people who have been persecuted and tortured in their own countries. Imagine being in that situation. Barnsley's a great place, but I bet the majority of asylum seekers living there would rather be able to live safely in their own country with their family and friends.

Posted by Rhys Pattison I Fri 16th May 2014 at 4:17pm

This is really a massive pi-- take, this is part of Britains deficit problem. put them all back on a plane back home . Is this were my massive tax

Posted by Trisha NF I Fri 16th May 2014 at 5:07pm

Amazing, isn't it, how illegal immigrants, legal immigrants and, of course, "asylum" seekers get the best of everything, when they arrive in our country. As for these so-called "asylum seekers", exactly how many safe countries do they cross in order to get to our overcrowded (but over generous) country? When will people wake up to what is happening? We are being swamped by these scumbags, who are here for one thing, and one thing only, to take advantage of our very generous benefits system - or it is if you aren't British and in GENUINE need!! Close our borders NOW and deport those already here, or the country is finished!!!

Posted by lucy I Fri 16th May 2014 at 6:14pm
Posted by Vote ukip I Fri 16th May 2014 at 7:33pm

These asylum seekers also get £100 per week food vouchers for use at various supermarkets, £10 per day taxi money, £126 per month clothing allowance and also mobile phone with free top ups, so well done to all of you who keep voting labour and conservative who get backhanders for letting england become over run by foreigners. Only one way that can putva stop to this and that is to vote ukip, anyone who doesnt vote their vote goes to either labour or conservatives.

Posted by Josephine Clark I Sat 17th May 2014 at 1:30am

Absolutely disgusting state of affairs when our own folk are going hungryand going to foodbanks and being refused benefits by way of sanction !!!!

Posted by sue I Sat 17th May 2014 at 4:01pm

we should have accommodation compounds at UK embassies in the asylum seekers own countries and keep the asylum seekers at these until we decide whether or not to give them asylum then if we don't we have no problem in trying to find them to kick them out of the UK

Posted by A Nonny Mouse I Sun 18th May 2014 at 11:03am

I wonder what sort of treatment WE would get if we went over to there country and pleaded "Political Asylum". I wonder if we would be well looked after? Just asking...

Posted by cm I Sun 18th May 2014 at 11:07am

Mrs A Cocks: It doesn't happen in Australia because apart from the Aborigenes, EVERYONE ELSE IN AUSTRALIA IS AN IMMIGRANT!

Most of the people in Australia went there for economic reasons, for the MONEY!

Most (not all, granted) of the immigrants coming into this country are NOT coming for the money - they are coming to a country that is (relatively) safe, whereas their own country is just too dangerous. They come here because we are welcoming and want to help. Well, apart fromthe racist bigots, anyway.

Posted by poseidon I Tue 20th May 2014 at 7:41am

The annoying problem which really gets my back up, is that when i was out of work the government offered me £30.50 a week on job seekers allowance. I had a mortgage a car and a family to feed. People can now come to this country and get better thought of than its own residents / nationality.

Posted by Wendy I Tue 20th May 2014 at 4:56pm

Wouldnt call Remarda a top hotel, its very basic

Posted by lookafterourown I Tue 20th May 2014 at 6:54pm

Time to call it a day now letting every Tom Dick or Harry in, spend the money on our own children, old people etc. and as for all the do gooders, try giving all your compassion to our own people that need it, there are children and old people of our own suffering, do they get this sort of help, of couse not

Posted by sarah I Wed 21st May 2014 at 1:55pm

The people that are being put up in these hotels have gone through several countries to get to us. The main place being France and to my knowledge France is a safe place for them why do they not stay there. They can get jobs and homes there but no France doesnt give them free accomodation free mobiles free clothes free food free houses free cars. I wonder if we can claim asylum and get everything for nothing instead of working all hours and paying for everything.

Posted by Gary I Thu 22nd May 2014 at 3:53pm

Would people who say that it is G4 paying for the accommodation so it does not impact the tax payer please think about where G4 get their own funding/income from - yes that's right, the Government AKA the tax payer.

Posted by JSTAR I Fri 23rd May 2014 at 6:39am

What a shame we can not put all our own "homeless people " in hotels and guarantee them a bed every night , warm water and a meal every day.

Out of the 400 rooms that were bought for them, how many had to share a room, and what were the thoughts of the paying guests at these hotels?

Posted by Kevin I Fri 23rd May 2014 at 10:26pm

I think it is absolutely disgusting that me a taxpayer has to foot the bill for immigrants I remember Cameron telling us before he got into power how we were having a referendum if he was Prime Minister, he forgot to mention it would be his second term, I want a referendum now to stop them all coming, you walk around Barnsley it is not like it was, it is full of immigrants and I don't like it, to say they are not good hotels is stupid, they are the best we have got. Vote UKIP and stop them or vote for the other clowns and get more.

Posted by jim mulley I Thu 5th Jun 2014 at 2:25am