New supermarket plans will create jobs

By Katia Harston, Chief Reporter Wednesday 14th May 2014
Twinbell supermarket

NEW plans that have been submitted for a supermarket across the road from Asda show it would create up to 300 jobs.

Peel Holdings Ltd had originally applied for permission for a much larger building on the site off Twibell Street, but withdrew its plans in February last year.

Now the developer has revealed outline proposals for a 106,000 sq ft supermarket, petrol filling station, car park, non-food retail store and a community park at the site.

It would be accessed by a new link road.

Peel Holdings says the site as it is now presents a 'poor quality front door for Barnsley'.

A report states: "The proposals will deliver a positive gateway for the town, trigger regeneration of the River Dearne corridor as it passes through Barnsley, provide a distinct shopping experience and a new community park connecting the town to the river Dearne."

She said an operator for the supermarket will be sought should consent be given.

Posted by Alan Brown I Wed 14th May 2014 at 4:08pm

total madness create 300 jobs loose hundreds in the town centre.

as if we haven't enough super markets in our town already.

and if the traffic isn't bad enough

Posted by LM Trueman I Wed 14th May 2014 at 4:26pm

I am sick to the back teeth of food supermarkets, as if we dont have enough. These supermarket chains have distroyed our heritage of pubs by turning them into stupid mini supermarkets. Really ask yourself do we need or bloody want another. My opinion is no. stop ruining Barnsley.

Posted by Mr Green I Wed 14th May 2014 at 7:00pm

We do not need anymore supermarkets in Barnsley

Posted by julie I Fri 16th May 2014 at 11:22am

how many more supermarkets do we need,they are killing local shops mine included.it is disgusting.but thats barnsley council for ya money making all along.

Posted by BRIAN THORPE I Fri 16th May 2014 at 11:24am

WHY BUILD A SUPERMARKET NEXT TO A SUPERMARKET ???

Posted by the 1 I Fri 16th May 2014 at 11:34am

lets build more supermarkets just to **** these old men off hahaha.

Posted by babs I Fri 16th May 2014 at 12:53pm

If you read the article properly its a non-food retail store, so not a normal supermarket, but I agree something better could have been built.

Posted by Tyke I Fri 16th May 2014 at 1:17pm

If you read the article it states;

"proposals for a 106,000 sq ft supermarket, petrol filling station, car park, non-food retail store and a community park"

A food supermarket and a non food retail store!!!!!

Posted by Ed I Fri 16th May 2014 at 1:45pm

Let's build a supermarket straight opposite another. Does someone actually get paid to come up with these ideas. Madness

Posted by Wendy I Fri 16th May 2014 at 1:55pm

It doesn't matter what they're building - it should be stopped!! Put business back into the once glorious town it was. Stop these corporate monsters now! People of Barnsley - have a revolution! They have ripped the p**s for too long. Take back the town.

Posted by Dave I Fri 16th May 2014 at 3:04pm

Persoally, I'd be happy to see an area of the town that is considered to be an eyesore get the regeneration it requires. Times, trends and cultures changes, the town centre is a dinausaur that is filled with drug fuelled idiots and dole scroungers. Nobody wants to go there. Only thing i'd maybe say is, our road network cant handle it. That area is bad for traffic as it is.

Posted by Paul Brears I Sun 18th May 2014 at 11:26am

I tried to get into Barnsley the othe Saturday to do a spot of shopping

I gave up in the end and went to Wakefield, it was quicker.

The traffic was queing from the Sun Inn at Monk Bretton all the

way to the PC world roundabout, so much for the improved

traffic flow through the area, the new roundabout and quality bus corridor

have made things much worse and god knows what the effect of yet another supermarket

will have, but it wont be good…Wakefield for me fom now on.

Posted by Steve I Mon 19th May 2014 at 2:16pm

It would be nice to know which supermarket chain they are thinking will operate this site. Sainsburys or Waitrose would make common sense as we already have the big three nearby plus the cheaper end Lidl's and Netto's etc.

I wonder if they'd specially rename the Barnsley branch of 'Waitrose' to 'Don't thee mooive thi sen flower'

Posted by Poseidon I Tue 20th May 2014 at 7:45am

What???......lets build a supermarket with petrol station opposite.......a supermarket with a petrol station? As at present this site does not represent a good back door to Barnsley? Hey! come to Barnsley look what we have to offer......Would not something for the community to make jobs be better than an Aldi?

Posted by lookafterourown I Tue 20th May 2014 at 7:00pm

Could be worse they could build another hotel to fill with yet more asylum seekers.

Posted by Chouanne I Thu 5th Jun 2014 at 9:19am

Like someone commented I tend to go to Wakefield instead. I do not drive and from my village I can go direct to Wakefield. Lovely new shopping centre and great Sainsbury and Asda Living next to it.