Barnsley man's fiancee deported after immigration nightmare

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Thursday 1st May 2014
Kelly and Darren

A BARNSLEY man's American fiancee is being deported back to the USA after being locked up by immigration officials just days before they were due to get married.

Darren Sellars met Kelly La Vaux, from Texas, on the internet two years ago.

Darren says Kelly, 31, was abused by her family all her life, and before her visa ran out in January she applied for asylum, but her bid failed.

She has been detained at Yarl's Wood immigration removal centre in Bedfordshire since April 11, missing her wedding which was booked for April 22.

Darren, 39, of, Dodworth, blames the Home Office for giving her bad advice to apply for asylum.

** The full story appears in Friday's Barnsley Chronicle **

Posted by Stuart Moss I Thu 1st May 2014 at 7:12pm

Please change the above text to 11th April and 22nd April, it presently reads like April 2011 and April 2022 because you have used AMERICAN date formatting, which is kind of ironic considering the story.

Posted by nameless I Thu 1st May 2014 at 7:18pm

So they can send an American home. How about all the rest of the illegal immigrants???

Posted by tzj I Thu 1st May 2014 at 9:37pm

I agree nameless but in this case the home offices suggestion utterly backfired, which raises more questions.

Plus even if she was detained, they shouldn't have held her if the wedding was legit and booked.

Unless 'they' are trying to set an example???

Posted by anon I Thu 1st May 2014 at 9:43pm

Bet they setting example like you say.

Posted by jiffi I Thu 1st May 2014 at 10:18pm

Nameless - Barnsley will be good when the only people allowed to live there were born there , is that what you want - priceless

Posted by Barnsley resident I Thu 1st May 2014 at 11:28pm

I live, work and was Barnsley born my wife is from outside the EU so the corrupt immigration office in Sheffield made her have to go back and we still trying to sort it over a year later but the Home office does not enforce EU law by sending people back to there EU country of origin if they can't support themselves they give them benefit hand outs how is that wright!!!!!!!

Posted by Lisa I Fri 2nd May 2014 at 4:19am

I had to move to the US to marry my husband because of the ridiculous immigration laws that we have in this country. He has a trade and there were a wealth of jobs although he was willing to take anything but even though I was working I didn't earn enough to cover what the govt says we needed to live on. Yet if he came from an EU country the rules are different. Now we cannot move back until I can get a job that pays x amount GBP. How is this right and fair? How is this not discriminatory against human rights?

I hope the people involved in this sorry affair get justice sorted soon and are not kept apart for a long time but knowing how Immigration drags its feet I won't hold my breath. In the meantime, I pray for a change in policy that would allow us all to be reunited with our families if we so choose regardless of nationality.

Posted by Lesley Bruce I Fri 2nd May 2014 at 12:47pm

The barnsley chronical covered my story in 2002 after meeting my now ex husband on the internet from California, in ictiber of 2002 we went away with my patents as a birthday present to Florida my then husbpbands visa was I the hands if the home iffcue and his passport replaced with a temp one for 12 months, he flew back to Manchester earlier than myself due to ill health , on the plane he filled in a form on going through customs he was arrested and detained then deported back USA the very next day, the bottom line is they are doing there jobs it's heartbreaking but if it was the other way around they would do the same to you, being married to them diesnt make any difference either plaid on get the visa sorted and then she can come back legally

Posted by Brenda I Fri 2nd May 2014 at 8:03pm

my husband and l have been together since 2003. He is Turkish..l am English. He went back to Turkey because of a problem with his documents to stay here.He was not deported or removed. We paid his flight .its been 23 months and still the Home office refuse a visa because the people dealing with his visa application make mistake afte mistake. They now say we do not meet the financial requirements of £18.600 a year income..my income is higher than this amount yet 3 times the visa has been refused. The 2nd refusal was on the documents of a dance teacher.not my documents..l am a cafe owner. i do not claim benefits ..or ask for housing..l pay my own bills and work 6 days a week. It does not pay to be honest..criminals and terrorists get to stay as its 'against their human rights to be sent back to their own country'..it seems my husband and l do not have basic human rights..

Posted by Barnsley Resident I Sun 1st Jun 2014 at 12:07am

It's about time Teresa May was arrested on human rights charges as she is the person at the head of the Home Office that is letting this corruption take place so is responsible for it!!!!!!