Cornish pastie ban for Hoyland bakery

By helen williams, Hoyland Reporter Friday 25th April 2014
Hoyland Cooplands staff member Michelle Standhaven with the renamed 'Yorkshire Pasty'.

TRADITIONAL Cornish pasties have had a name change at Cooplands bakery in Hoyland - because of a Euro food law.

Brussels bureaucrats say Cornish pasties can no longer bear that name unless they are made in Cornwall, causing a bit of a headache to bakers across the nation when it comes to selling the scrummy snack.

Bakers have a time limit of three years to come up with a solution but Cooplands decided to get in early. The Yorkshire company has come up with the new name 'Yorkshire Pasties.'

Zoe Fletcher, Cooplands area manager, said the Yorkshire pasties were actually selling better than the old Cornish versions.

She said: "It was our marketing team who came up with the idea. They were just thinking about our Yorkshire heritage. Customers just laugh when we tell them and say it's a bit daft that we can't call a Cornish pasty a Cornish pasty.

"We have similar problems when we make cakes for children's parties. For example, we can't do a Peppa Pig cake because of copyright laws."

The Euro food legislation also specifies the only permitted ingredients in Cornish pasties are minced or diced beef, sliced potato, onion and swede.

A spokeswoman from Barnsley Council confirmed: "Under food legislation 'Cornish pasty' is a description that can only be applied to pasties made in Cornwall. The council would advise any business of this if found on a routine inspection."

The EU food rules have often been ridiculed. Rules in the past have dictated that only cucumbers that are "practically straight" can be sold, while food chiefs also said a swede could be called a turnip - provided it was in a Cornish pasty.

Posted by Roland I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 2:13pm

We should have the same protection for the Yorkshire Pudding then. If it's not made in Yorkshire then its not a Yorkshire Pudding.

Posted by freddy I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 2:35pm

Eccles cakes ...Dundee cakes where does it end???

Posted by Fraser I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 2:39pm

They are called 'cornish pasties' because they were INVENTED in Cornwall. We should all stand up and say Bo#%cks to the brain dead fools from Brussels! The Yorkshire pudding was invented in Yorkshire and people recognise that wherever they are served. Cornwall deserve the same courtesy!

Posted by tzj I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 4:02pm

If theres some kind of fine... where would the money go?

Posted by Bob I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 4:19pm

Oh dear oh dear. *facepalm*

Posted by Maffi I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 4:26pm

So if my name is Cornish and I have a company in Birmingham called Cornish Bakers I cant call my pasties Cornish Pasties. Seems od to me that the European Union can call itself the European Union when no one voted for it and no one wants it.

Posted by Paul Johnson I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 9:03pm

The country has gon mad you could say that the pasties can only be made by Cornish people who have a heratage that goes back 10 generations so if you weren't born in Cornwall how can you make a Cornish pasty

In that case what about the good old Yorkshire pudding

When are the people of this country going to say enough is enough it's political correctness gone mad a least we won't have to suffer Brussels sprouts anymore

Posted by Karen I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 10:19pm

We at Stainforth Bakery changed the name of our "Cornish pasty" to Farmhouse pasty a few years ago. Although customers do still ask for the traditional Cornish pasty!! Why not call it the Barnsley pasty and look after our own!!!

Posted by Andrew Walker I Fri 25th Apr 2014 at 10:29pm

It's always going to be damn Brussels interfering with this with that. Just tell them naff off.

Posted by Oyboy I Sat 26th Apr 2014 at 5:52am

Wonder how many Chinese and Indians will close or change their name because they're not made in that country ... Let me guess ....errrrm ... Errrrm ... None !!!!

Posted by John Foster I Sat 26th Apr 2014 at 12:39pm

The cornish pasty protection comes because of a campaign by the people of Cornwall badgering Brussels.

Eccles cakes has nothing to do with the town near Manchester. It comes from the word ecclesiastical meeaning from the church.

Yorkshire puddings has been mentioned for protection but can't get it because there is no special designated Yorkshire way of making the product.

Posted by L.A.Johnson I Sat 26th Apr 2014 at 1:27pm

what about those real Italian Pizzas made in Germany ?

Posted by Mr Veg I Sat 26th Apr 2014 at 3:51pm

Brussell Sprouts?

Posted by BRIAN THORPE I Sat 26th Apr 2014 at 6:25pm
Posted by David Wood I Sat 26th Apr 2014 at 7:35pm

So does this mean that we are now going to have Manchester Pasties and Blackpool Pasties, London Pasties!? We all have a vote on May the 22nd I know how I'm voting for, those that want the EU out of our daily lives. We pay millions in wages to our politicians in Westminster for what!? To have someone in Brussels rule over them and make our laws. Why are we paying our MP's

Posted by Sharon Tate I Sun 27th Apr 2014 at 5:41pm

What on earth will those stupid over paid bureaucrats think next, that we can't call ourselves English. It makes my blood boil. If I had the bloody money I would move out of Britain.

Posted by Anna Gram I Mon 28th Apr 2014 at 2:36pm
Posted by paul linley I Sat 3rd May 2014 at 10:44am

This is exactly the sort of ground breaking, cutting edge, investigative journalism, that we (sadly) see too little of, these days! Take a bow, Helen, Barnsley is proud of you!

Posted by Sallie Oughton Taylor I Tue 20th May 2014 at 4:57am

Melton Mowbray pork pie made in America tut tut...