NewsMum gives birth to big bundle of joy weighing 12Ibs 10oz NewsTates Travel could face huge fine after complaints NewsBig move for top non-league football club NewsWarning over plans for councils to set business rates NewsOne of Barnsley's last working coal miners feels 'let down' NewsFather with rare cancer desperate to see daughter grow up

Supermarket plan announced for Royston

By Alison Burkinshaw, Royston Reporter Tuesday 15th April 2014
Tim Cheetham

PLANS have been submitted to build an Aldi supermarket and ten houses in Royston, creating up to 40 jobs.

The site at High Street which was once a spring factory, has been vacant since 2009.

Coun Tim Cheetham said: "I'm happy that Aldi are planning to build in Royston.

"The consultation went down really well with residents, hardly anyone was against the plans.

"The site will provide parking for the doctors opposite and the developers have even agreed to build a pedestrian crossing to make the road safer."

He said he was pleased Aldi was talking to the council and prepared to discuss things that might benefit the local area.

Posted by johnny jackson I Wed 16th Apr 2014 at 4:42am

More conjestion on high street.. and has no one thought how difficult it would be in winter to get up the hill!! ie snow and ice!! anyone who worked at the old site knew about this problem.. So what happens to the Co op? noticed lately how empty the car park has got.. soon to be the next eye sore in Royston.

Posted by Clive I Fri 18th Apr 2014 at 10:16am

What hill. The High Street is flat. The CooP wil probably close.

Posted by Zob I Fri 18th Apr 2014 at 10:53am

If everybody in Royston shops in Royston then there is enough commerce for two supermarkets. But they have to be on the ball and treat clients with respect. Clean and efficient and competitive prices. People tend to forget a high price but never how they are treated as customers.

Posted by curmudgeon57 I Fri 18th Apr 2014 at 2:15pm

Not much good for the east end of Royston though is it?

Posted by john jackson I Sun 20th Apr 2014 at 4:24am

Do you live in Royston Clive?? The old spring factory was situated on the side of a hill.. just go stand on High Street and take a good look..

Posted by Zob I Mon 21st Apr 2014 at 4:24pm

How come that there are always people like "curmudgeon57"? If it doesn't benefit me then let's have a grudge on our shoulder.

Posted by Marcus I Tue 4th Aug 2015 at 12:07pm

"Zob" what is wrong with wanting facilities near where you live? How is that a grudge? Aldi have developed on a brown field site and, it could be argued, are responding to demographic changes in Royston. That still does not alter the lack of facilities in the east end of the town. Midland Rd is dead on it feet once you get past the top of Park View.