Elderly vow to continue travel cut protest

By Mike Cotton, Town Reporter Friday 14th March 2014
Pd49270-2 Angry protesters outside a meeting to discuss cuts to elderly and disabled people's concessionary passes.

A GREY army hundreds strong has vowed to board a train en masse and refuse to pay when cuts taking away free train travel for elderly and disabled people take effect at the end of the month.

About 200 chanted outside the Regent Street offices last where councillors from all four South Yorkshire councils gave final approval to the cuts which mean an end to all free train travel, and free bus travel being available only after 9.30am.

Protester Celia Utley, 65, of Blenheim Road, Barnsley, said: "We're the generation who've worked hard and paid our taxes all our lives."

Another protest is planned for March 31 when the changes take effect, and pensioners and the disabled will all board a train and refuse to pay.

Posted by Younggun I Fri 14th Mar 2014 at 9:46am

"we're the generation who worked hard and paid all our taxes", ok is this the same generation which had everything paid for? No prescription charges, council house when they wanted it and no tution fees if they took that offer, well the new rules look to ease congestion so the CURRENT generation can get to work before the OLD generation clog up the buses after half 9.

Posted by council tax payer I Fri 14th Mar 2014 at 4:38pm

Younggun yes i paid income tax ni and am still paying income tax now. I bought my own home paid council tax had no help at all to pay council tax and still dont . Disabled people - some are still working and will have to pay to use buses before 9 30. trains all day. Students can have reduced fair cant they ??? So why not disabled and oaps ???. students - you are making it a general issue not all people can afford to pay full fare plus some live on their own have no contact with anyone other than their few weekly trips out. Hope you are never in that position. Thankfully im not!!!!

Posted by ara steeples I Fri 14th Mar 2014 at 6:11pm

If council did not wast money on boge repars thay would not have to do this lets se you council people at the top tack a pay cut you are not struggling to live just fethering your owen nest but what you give out one day may come back to you kamar is a bich

Posted by x I Fri 14th Mar 2014 at 8:16pm

I don't know why they moaning about it, everywhere else is after 9.30 and pay on trains. People in south Yorkshire have it too easy. Same with the kids fares everywhere else its half the adult fares

Posted by jeh I Fri 28th Mar 2014 at 1:09pm

whats wrong with a compromise ? why not have flat fare of 50p (as an example) .

Posted by paul I Sat 29th Mar 2014 at 8:00pm
Posted by paul I Sun 30th Mar 2014 at 3:23pm

oh, yes, before you start saying i am wrong, i missed a tiny bit out, the BUS PASS, is valid on ALL LOCAL BUSES in the MAP OF ENGLAND, NOT VALID ON COACH TRAVEL, eg, nat express, or mega bus, the pass, English national pass is NOT VALID IN WALES OR SCOTLAND. so, enjoy your bus travel.

Posted by paul I Sun 30th Mar 2014 at 3:28pm

for those who think that its ok to pay 50p to travel by train, look at the fares on the train from such as Doncaster -Leeds off peak, its over £15 day rtn, also. Sheffield -Leeds off peak day rtn is over £10.00, so, a 50p "compromise" would not cover anything. complain as much as you want, nowt is going to change, so get on with it.

Posted by Roz Walters I Mon 31st Mar 2014 at 9:27pm

I had to practically fight my way through that lot this morning at Barnsley railway Station. Why? Not because I was trying to get on a train, but because I wanted to buy a Senior Travel Pass so I could have a 30% reduction on future rail journeys.

Personally I am sick to death of pensioners complaining about how bad things are. Can't afford this, can't afford that, can't afford whatever. They should remember what it was like for their grandparents. I know how my grandma struggled on her widows pension. It was all she could do to heat one room, let alone an entire house. No such thing as help with rates, rent, etc, nor could she afford the luxury of a television set.

Stop moaning, be grateful that you woke up this morning.

Posted by paul I Tue 1st Apr 2014 at 7:30pm

you hard core pensioners at Barnsley railway stn on Monday, you should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES, its a show of pure GREED!!! i am suprised you didnt burn ya bra's and chain ya sen's tut railings and blocked the stn entrance, i feel ashamed mi sen to be from BARNSLEY, with that show, you should be disgusted with yourselves. when i get to pension age, if i ever reach that, i certainly wont act like a spoilt kid like you lot are. before you start ya next protest, whenever that is, think on, read the info on your actual entitlement, what the government stated you were all entitled to, and that is- FREE OFF PEAK BUS TRAVEL FROM 09.30-23.00 MON-FRID, and ALL DAY WKNDS, anything above that, is a bonus. and anything else, such as rail travel, tram travel, is an extra, a privilage, NOT A GOD GIVEN RIGHT!!!! so stop acting like spoilt brats, i am glad my mother didnt SHOW HER SELF UP like you lot did.

Posted by Alan Curtis I Sat 5th Apr 2014 at 10:20am

Most of these comments assume the we were being selfish to protest, but concerns spread right across age

Posted by paul I Thu 17th Apr 2014 at 6:59am

Alan, total rubbish, GREED, thats the bottom line!!!yoy want everything for nothing. makes me ASHAMED that i am from Barnsley. am dis associating my self from Barnsley.