Blah Bar owner ready to hang up his towel

By helen williams, Hoyland Reporter Saturday 15th February 2014
Glen and Rebecca Hinchliffe

It's the end of an era at Blah Bar in Barnsley as manager Glen Hinchliffe hangs up his bar towel for the last time after 11 years.

Glen, 55, who designed the unique look of Blah Bar, is leaving the popular watering hole to start a new business venture with his son Abel, 23.

Glen's daughter Rebecca, 30, who is his assistant bar manager, is joining her sister Emily's beauty business called Face in Pitt Street where she will be a make-up artist.

Glen and Rebecca said they would have great memories of Blah Bar which had "set a new benchmark" for town centre pubs.

"Women, young mums and their kids especially, feel safe in the bar," said Glen, who added that staff from all over the world - including Latvia and Colombia - had worked at Blah Bar and still returned for a visit.

"They come back like homing pigeons," added Rebecca.

Some customers had also been regulars for eight or nine years.

Glen leaves on Sunday after a leaving party tomorrow and new owners take over on Monday. They plan to close Blah Bar for a 'new look' refurbishment, Glen said.

Glen, who said people were increasingly forsaking pubs in favour of cheap beer and a DVD at home, added: "It's been good but it's just time for a new venture."

Posted by Wayne I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 5:04pm

Not surprised hes hanging his towel up, made his money at over £4 a pint!!

Posted by Me I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 5:48pm
Posted by jamie I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 6:49pm
Posted by Bobby I Mon 17th Feb 2014 at 8:34pm

Its a shame as it has for the past 10 years been the best bar in town. Good luck to them both. Must have been miss-counting your money Wayne, don't recall it ever being £4 a pint (leave the beer goggles at home)

Posted by Steel I Fri 21st Feb 2014 at 4:15am
Posted by LN I Fri 21st Feb 2014 at 2:28pm

We frequented Blah Bar lots - as an office, as a couple, and myself with friends both at lunch time and for tea. The food was beautiful, the atmosphere was was good. However, on one of our visits in the evening I was with a disabled friend. Both of us were abused verbally by a guy at the bar - someone who was a regular, and I think a friend of the owners. When I mentioned it to the bar staff, they looked too frightened to do anything. When my friend was subject to taunts - loud taunts - about his disabiilty, we left - not touching our food - and we never returned.