MP raises concerns about HS2 route

By Katia Harston, Chief Reporter Saturday 15th February 2014
Michael Dugher

Barnsley MP Michael Dugher has raised constituents' concerns about the phase two route of HS2 by making a submission to the public consultation on the proposed high speed rail link.

Phase two will connect the West Midlands to Leeds and passes through parts of Barnsley, affecting areas including Hoyland, Hoyland Common, Ardsley, Lundwood, Wombwell, Swaithe, Cudworth, Carlton Marsh Nature Reserve and Rabbit Ings Country Park.

The Barnsley East MP raised concerns on behalf of his constituents over value for money; responding to residents; tunnelling; Wombwell Wood; the Swaithe hamlet and issues relating to the mining history of the area.

Public consultation on the proposed phase two route closed at the end of January. All the submissions will now be analysed by an independent company and the findings will be reported to HS2 Ltd.

These findings will then be used by HS2 Ltd to look at possible changes to the proposed route before recommendations are made to the Secretary of State for Transport.

A decision on the final route is expected towards the end of the year.

Mr Dugher said: ""Understandably, the proposed route is a matter of great concern to me and to many of my constituents.

"I am determined that the voice of local residents is heard loud and clear and the concerns people have raised with me are taken in to account.

"That is why I made sure to attach all correspondence from my constituents regarding this matter.

"While I am supportive in principle of HS2, there are many in Barnsley who are concerned about the effects of the current HS2 route.

"If this consultation shows there is overwhelming public opinion that the route should be altered, then HS2 should listen and look at proposals to do so.

"It is also absolutely vital there is maximum compensation to local residents who are impacted by HS2 and whose properties are blighted."

Posted by albert I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 9:04am
Posted by kazza I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 12:04pm

we need this to happen, its about time we had good transport links to bring us up to date

Posted by Ewan Brooke, Hoyland Resident I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 2:48pm

Vested interests are the only people to benefit from this unwanted and un needed expensive white Elephant that will blight Barnsley

Posted by albert I Sat 15th Feb 2014 at 7:21pm

kazza do you know any thing it will not stop in tarn so what use will it be to people of the tarn

Posted by kazza I Mon 17th Feb 2014 at 11:39am

of course I know its not going to stop in tarn ! So What, I'm quite capable of making my way to Sheffield to get it, just as I have to do now if I travel anywhere other than leeds or Nottingham !

Posted by albert I Tue 25th Feb 2014 at 7:40am
Posted by Ewan Brooke I Sun 2nd Mar 2014 at 10:59am

I do believe that having HS2 blight Barnsley and the people of Barnsley So that We have to catch a bus/taxi to get the 15 mile or so journey from Town to Meadowhall to catch it, is a bit rich!

Surely if Barnsley is to take the Brunt of the line( blight) in South Yorkshire it should have a station near junction 37 of the M1?.

HS2 is not needed/ wanted and no one will be able to afford to use it anyway!

So when I hear people say its a good thing for Barnsley I despair!

All this pet vanity project will do is Bleed Barnsley dry and Blight it's villages ( Hoyland Commom) womb well) wousborough) Swaith) Stairfoot) the Rabbitings) all devasted