The 'miracle' recovery of last rites patient

By Lynsey Bradford, Town Reporter Sunday 9th February 2014
Mary Young

A woman who was given the last rites stunned her family when she started to talk hours later.

Mary Young had received end of life care following a heart attack and was visited by Barnsley Hospital chaplain Fr Peter Needham.

Mary, 87, of Taylor Crescent, Grimethorpe, was taken to hospital on January 11.

Daughter Marie Gledhill, of Bank End Road, Worsbrough Dale, was contacted the next day by staff to say her mother was deteriorating and that she and her brother Tommy should come.

"My mum was out of it, the nurse said she could have hours or days.

"She didn't even know Fr Peter was there but he came and gave her the last rites.

"I stayed with her after and was talking to her and all of a sudden she started answering me.

"It's a miracle, there's no other explanation. You take it as gospel what the doctors say, but they couldn't believe it."

Mary was allowed home on January 24.

She said she doesn't remember anything from needing an ambulance to waking up and talking to Marie, but said she felt someone was looking down on her.

Posted by Marilyn Dubas I Sun 9th Feb 2014 at 3:34pm

I too received a healing from hepatitis C after six years of suffering from it because of a blood transfusion. The Sacrament of the sick was given to me after a ladies retreat I attended. It was an immediate healing.! Praise God

Posted by Mike I Sun 9th Feb 2014 at 7:33pm

Just a few weeks ago my 93 yr. old mother had pneumonia and wasn't expected to pull through. She was unresponsive and hadn't eaten for days nor had anything to drink. I arranged for a priest to come to give her the Last Rites (Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick). The next morning she was dressed, sitting up and feeding herself and feeling better. I know it was due to this holy sacrament.

Posted by lori I Mon 10th Feb 2014 at 3:19am

Thank God for His Gifts to us.. His Children

Posted by Beebee I Mon 10th Feb 2014 at 5:28am

When my mother was a little girl, she had infections in both ears so bad that the doctor could do nothing, and told her mother to "call the priest." She received the Last Rites. She began to get better the next day.

She is now 97 years old.

When she was 89 she got a bad case of the flu (after being in the hospital for something else) and went into respiratory failure. They rushed her to the ICU and were doing emergency procedures, and I had the hospital call a priest. She received the Sacrament of the Sick. She was in ICU for about 5 days, but she got better. She's now 97.

If God wants to take you, He will. But sometimes it's His will that you be healed. Praise His Holy Name.

Posted by Mary Ann I Mon 10th Feb 2014 at 10:41pm

My 83 year old mother was injured getting out of the tub. Because of her fragile state ligaments all over her body were torn and she was in severe agony for months with no healing taking place. I had purchased a Rosary for her for Mothers Day 2013. I had a priest friend bless them and then brought them to her at around 1pm. She received them, blessed herself and held them close. I left and by 5 pm she was up dressed (by herself) and waiting for my Dad to come home to take her out to dinner!! A total and complete healing miracle. The doctors were speechless!

Posted by Cheryl I Mon 10th Feb 2014 at 11:34pm

In 1984 I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and since they didn't know what to do with that cancer then, I was told I had 5 years to live. A green scapular was put around my neck and my body got so hot. By the way, the doctor was dead in 5 years