Pub landlord to star in sketch show

By Ed Elliot, Penistone Reporter Friday 22nd March 2013

An eccentric pub landlord has been selected to star in a new comedy sketch show to be aired on mainstream television starting this spring.

Anthony Youel, who runs The Monkey in Thurgoland, will appear in Boom Town on BBC3.

The 30-minute show features people from all over the country, who have never met, and brings them together in Boom Town, a fictional community which is portrayed to be authentic.

Art enthusiast Anthony said he had filmed a TV show but was unable to go into details of his contract.

"I'm very excited about the new venture with TV," he said. "I'm trying to put Thurgoland on the map."

The programme will show Anthony inside his pub and with  some of the numerous pieces of artwork he has created.

His works feature many everyday objects, such as chairs and wardrobes, as well as mannequins, toilets and televisions.

Posted by Derek I Fri 22nd Mar 2013 at 5:15pm

Lets hope this brings more much needed business to one of our remaining country pubs.

Posted by gdc I Fri 29th Mar 2013 at 11:31am

never tell anyone from the press anything in confidence !!..can't have it both ways --all publicity is good publicity ..unlikely knickerbocker tv will see it ..

Posted by a local I Sat 30th Mar 2013 at 10:33pm

what a nutter who in their right mind would visit this pub

Posted by isaac cloud I Tue 2nd Apr 2013 at 1:38pm

at last !!! a gem in a ocean of mediocrity , fantastic, macabre

Posted by Pete I Sun 5th May 2013 at 9:38pm

This 'friendly landlord' is a dangerous man from what I have experienced

Posted by Matthew The Writer I Wed 14th Aug 2013 at 11:26pm

I just watched the first show of the series and it was like the curate's egg. It was good in parts. The best part was that small piece by our own eccentric landlord Anthony Youel. His single piece was clever, well presented and typical of Anthony's of the wall humour. Well done Anthony, I hope to see more of you in the rest of the series and less of the others.