Make Barnsley Chronicle My Home Page Close
NewsBook signing and bake off for Barnsley author NewsFun in the sun as temperatures top 30 degrees NewsBarnsley family to appear on TV show NewsSam cooks up storm in Celebrity MasterChef NewsHundreds pay their last respects to Daniel NewsName and shame boards planned for fly tipping hot spots Proud Of BarnsleyCawthorne company nominated for Community Hero award NewsWrestling fans mourn the death of legend NewsStaff celebrate with anniversary party NewsNew company takes on museum cafe NewsBarnsley band drums up new members NewsTown centre redevelopment scheme approved NewsGraphic porn website removed after complaint NewsTraders speak out on £50m redevelopment plans NewsBarnsley DJ Stephanie Hirst makes radio return NewsHoyland's remaining butchers shut down
Share this story

Shop fire causes people to be evacuated from flats

By Kate Pickles, Town Reporter Tuesday 23rd October 2012
Fire fighter (library image).

Three fire crews were called to Premier Convenience Stores, Ballfield Lane, just after 2am.

 

They arrived to find a store room to the rear of the shop on fire.

 

A man who was upstairs when the fire broke out managed to escape unharmed and raised the alarm.

 

Fire-fighters wearing breathing apparatus fought the fire and evacuated two flats either side of the shop due to smoke-logging.

 

The occupants were allowed back into their properties once they had been ventilated.

 

The store room and staircase in the shop were damaged by the fire which is believed to have been caused by overloaded electrical sockets.

 

The two crews from Barnsley, and one from Royston, left the scene at about 5am

CommentsClick here to add a comment...
There are no comments on this story yet.