Christkindlmarkt ditched for craft market

By Katia Harston, Chief Reporter Friday 12th October 2012
All change: German traders like this couple will be missing from this year's Christmas market.

A spokesman for Barnsley Council said there may be some German traders there but it would not be all German stalls as in previous years.

She said: "The decision has been taken to try and encourage local craft traders to come along and support the local economy, and make it a little different."

Barnsley is twinned with German town Schwäbisch Gmünd.

Tony Swales, chairman of twinning society, said he was disappointed there would be no traditional German market.

"Many of the stall holders are not traders at home, they just come to trade in Barnsley.

"But Barnsley is still having a Christmas market and we are hoping it is going to be a big success because the town needs it to be."

Posted by ian and angie I Tue 16th Oct 2012 at 9:29pm

Disgraceful!! It's an highlight of Christmas in Barnsley... Very sad.

Posted by ellie I Tue 16th Oct 2012 at 9:57pm

Absolutely disgraceful, what an insult to the lovely people from Germany, who have year upon year made a magnificent contribution to Xmas at Barnsley in favour of local so called new born gifts. Barnsley won't be special in early December

Posted by kirsty I Wed 17th Oct 2012 at 10:01am

Gutted was looking forward to this so much after moving to Barnsley, will have to go to the leeds one instead now. You can go to Barnsley market any weekend, not often a traditional german xmas market comes to town, surely this will loose footfall from people going to the big Leeds one instead.

Posted by phoebemorbe I Fri 19th Oct 2012 at 9:43am

I too am not very happy Me and my children look forward to the christkindlmarket to see all the lovely things that they bring over and what do we get instead a craft fair which we can go to anytime Well done Barnsley Council again hahahaha I will be going to find the christkindlmarket market else where instead of going to the craft fair

Posted by Rachel Morgan I Tue 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:09am

This is just stupid. Just means Barnsley people will be going to places like Leeds for the German market and spending their money there instead, why does Barnsley have to try be money grabbers despite what the Barnsley people actually want... Barnsley council is a joke.

Posted by Catrin I Mon 29th Oct 2012 at 4:24pm

A pity but it might still work out well if the stalls are selected carefully. What I do miss in this article however is the date for the Christmas-Craft- market. When is it going to happen? By the way: the couple in the picture is English. And I hope they will be there: their Christmas cake is lovely.

Posted by bids24 I Mon 5th Nov 2012 at 1:45pm

What a let down! Now our Christmas market will be just like all the others. The twin town element made it special and an attraction for people beyond Barnsley. The council has probably shot itself in the foot by making this move. Fewer people will come. Our local traders could surely have just worked alongside the German traders under the "umbrella" of our truly traditional GERMAN Christmas market.

Posted by david hart I Sun 16th Nov 2014 at 12:13pm

What a disappointment this was a great market and brought lots of trade into Barnsley. We used to come and look around the market then do our Christmas shopping,looks like it will be York or Sheffield this year,well done Barnsley Council that's how to drive trade out of town

Posted by Jules I Thu 20th Nov 2014 at 11:47am

But good news surely for the local Craft traders of Barnsley.

German Markets are such busy places, I would much prefer to visit a smaller craft fair and look at work created by the people of Barnsley.

Posted by John Wood I Fri 28th Nov 2014 at 11:49am

We are very sorry to all our customers but the people in the photograph (Marjorie and Lewis Wood from the Cake Box) will not be there this year.

You can catch us at Wentworth garden centre farmers markets if it helps. Best wishes for Christmas and hope to see you next year.